Removing a steering column

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Bug-Eyed

Removing a steering column

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I want to repaint the steering column in my Beetle and want to know how difficult it is to remove it.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

It's not difficult at all, and basically pulls right out after you remove the steering wheel, under-dash clamp, turn signal switch and horn wire from beneath the car.

'66 would have a semigloss black column.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

Blue Baron wrote:It's not difficult at all, and basically pulls right out after you remove the steering wheel, under-dash clamp, turn signal switch and horn wire from beneath the car.

'66 would have a semi-gloss black column.
Regardless of what color the steering wheel is?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

All '66 Beetles had a black steering wheel.

Also, after a second look, you don't need to remove the horn wire from the steering column.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I wish I could find a "How To" on removing the steering column housing. I just want to make sure I don't screw something up. I only want to clean up the housing and re-paint it the correct color.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I realize paper is obsolete, and everything should be available at a click of a mouse, but the Robert Bentley Volkswagen 1200 Service Manual is invaluable. (It also covers the 1300.)