Sunroof Removal

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bluevdub66

Sunroof Removal

Post by bluevdub66 »

Sorry, I posted my problem on the introduction site, but I'll post here also. How do you remove a metal sunroof from a 66' Beetle??? Any help is greatly appreciated!
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

bluevdub66,

I just checked for your Email addy in the members list and profile to no avail...

I'm not sure of the policy here on the forum so if jmartini could instruct me on how to get this info to you and the forum, for we all could possibly benifit from it...

I have pages of detailed info and diagrams as to this procedure and could scan, send and possible post here in the forum...I'm not to computer savy so maybe even you could help me :?

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
bluevdub66

Post by bluevdub66 »

Thanks for the reply. I am also one who is not very computer savvy. Perhaps if you told me what book you have I may be able to find it for myself. If this dosn't work we may be able to find another way. It sounds like it is just what I'm looking for.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

bluevdub66

What I have is a couple how to articles from magazines from old old hotVW's and VWTrends and one from the hotVW how to "restore" from the early 2000s

if you go to your profile you could post your email addy so I can try to send what I have to you...mine is BKDAUGHERTY1@COMCAST.NET

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
bluevdub66

Post by bluevdub66 »

Sorry about that but I thought my E-Mail address showed in my profile. I've updated my profile. Let me know if you can't get it. Thanks.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Best book ever "how to keep your vw running for the compleat idiot" i think thats right,
and the plain service books that shops use, the sunroof sounds complicated but once it's done it seems to get simpler
A volksie thanks,
Max
carol

sunroof removal

Post by carol »

Im bumping this one up to see if anyone can help with a stuck sunroof we are trying to remove. It moves back about 3 inches then stops . How do you remove the roof?
Thanks
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi All: If you go to the "memberlist" Icon at the top of the screen you can find every member in the forum. Next to each member is an email icon. Clicking on this will allow you to send an email to the member. Hope this helps. John
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Your question is really beyond the scope of a forum like this one. I recommend you purchase the Robert Bentley Volkswagen 1200 Service Manual (despite the fact that your car is a 1300, it's still covered) and it will show the procedure for rebuilding and adjusting the sliding steel sunroof in excruciating detail. It's the same manual the mechanics in the dealerships would have used.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

... I'll add that I had no experience with the steel sunroof at all, and the manual showed me how to cinch up the cables perfectly. It also showed how to change the sunroof cover on my '63.
carol

Post by carol »

Thanks Blue, When the "complete idiot" didnt have it I was baffled. Since Im in Germany the book may but be hard to get -- but ill get it when im stateside. Thanks
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The "Compleat Idiot" is a shadetree mechanic's guide. It will help you keep your car running. For the nuts and bolts of things like door assembly and sunroof innards, the factory manual covers it all.