Parcel Tray Installation

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Russell 66

Parcel Tray Installation

Post by Russell 66 »

Anybody have a bamboo parcel tray and know how they mount? Are they held in place with pressure screws or do you actually need sheet metal screws that make holes? If you need to make holes, how many and where? When I look at them for sale on line, some show "Mounting Hardware" as two hooks and a round rubber looking thing while others show L brackets with screws and a round rubber looking thing. Any enlightenment or pictures would be great.
Athen_TL

Post by Athen_TL »

I (unfortunately) have only the plastic tray, and i am not sure they are held in the car the same way.

Anyway, my tray is held by 2 screws on either side which just "push" against the sides of the car. No holes or anything.

I'll try to make some pics if you think this might be helpful.

Boris
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Thanks Boris! I think pix would be helpful. I prefer the bamboo tray but don't really want to drill holes so, seeing the push-mount would be helpful. Maybe I can make a hybrid or something.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I've got 2 bamboo parcel trays, one vintage '60's and one new Empi aftermarket. Both are pressure fit in the sides, and the new one came with 4 little screw-in tabs very similar to the tabs you'd see in modular shelving units (like from Ikea as an example). Really just there to keep it from falling down and interfering with your ability to drive the car.
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

That's what I'm looking for! I searched and found an "Empi" dealer that sells a bamboo tray but it just says it comes with the proper mounting hardware. Do you remember what dealer you purchased your from?

Also, does it supply adequate pressure to hold relatively heavy items without slipping? I'd hate to have it fall while driving.

Thanks for the help.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

The place I got mine from has since closed their doors. You can try Doug's Bugs n Bunnies here in Phoenix, or Chirco down in Tucson. Both shops are awesome, knowledgeable people to know and they'll take care of you.

http://www.dougsbnb.com
http://www.chicro.com

I Don't see them listed on their sites, but you can call them and find out availability. You can also try Mid America and CIP1 too.

I have a pair of 6.5" speakers in hand made little boxes on my tray, weight about a pound each and the tray stays put with the mounting tabs. I"m paranoid so I also put a zip tie through the back attached around the steering column to keep it off my feet just in case it does manage to come down. I drove 200 miles with a craftsman 3/4" socket set in the tray, that's probably 5 pounds more, do trouble at all (other than those sockets jiggling being really annoying. :) )
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Thanks so much for the terrific info. Every time I've seen them pictured there's always something light in them. I'm more likely to have the latest book I'm reading, my cell phone and a good-sized day-planner. I'm tired of loosing my phone because it fell next to the passenger door while driving.

The zip tie makes perfect sense to me. I've got that paranoid gene about my feet too. I have a hairless cat who likes to sit on the floor behind the driver's feet. He gets away with it with everyone but me. He knows enough to stay away from the driver's peddles but you can't convince me he know “why” he shouldn't mess with them. I figure, someday he may grow a wild hair and go for them. So he's learned the lap is the limit and contents himself with looking out the window. Gee, maybe I should try the twist tie thing on him?

Thanks again for the great info. I see a parcel tray in my future and fewer phone-hunting trips. Yea.
Aynthm

Post by Aynthm »

I am 6'1" tall and have never driven my bug (still working on it), will the bamboo tray be hitting me in the legs or is there plenty of room. I love the idea of putting some mini speakers on it in the corners. That's a great idea!

Thanks.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

There's still plenty of legroom with the shelf.
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Parcel tray fits in and so does my husband. Yippie! As a matter of fact, the tray fits so well, once it was muscled in a little, it stays put all by itself. Holds heavy stuff with ease. I must have thick carpet or something. I did the zip-tie-to-the-steering-column for my peace of mind and . . . . done. Easy as pie. Thanks for the back-up. It always helps.