Wiper Motor Mystery wire?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Itskyle

Wiper Motor Mystery wire?

Post by Itskyle »

It's black, ends in a spade connector. Does not appear to reach anything nearby. Maybe it got loose and that's why it isn't working anymore.

I can post pictures later.

I really need wipers, though.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

If it is a black wire coming from the wiper motor, it would go to terminal 54 of the windshield wiper switch. The back of the switch would be behind the wiper motor and is difficult to see - especially if you have a radio installed.
Itskyle

the plot thickens

Post by Itskyle »

removed the POS 80s style radio today.

This mystery wire I accidentally hooked up to the headlight switch, which caused a strange buzzing from a nearby 12 volt relay (PO or PO PO had switched machine out to 12 volt.)

Couldn't seem to find an empty socket on the wiper switch, and they weren't spade connectors, some sort of screw on business instead. Is it possible the stock looking wiper switch isn't stock?

Bright side, I almost feel like I have air with that radio missing, a lot of air comes through my unfortunately leaky front clip.

Kyle
--
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Sounds like you might have an earlier year wiper switch on your car. I know that VW's from the `50's used screw terminals instead of spade connectors. I'm not sure at what year VW made the change to spade connectors.
As far as where the wire goes, you may want to check out the following wiring diagram and compare it to what you've got:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... /bug66.jpg

I just reread your post and noticed that you mention a 12 volt relay. Has your car been converted to 12 volt? I have no experience on 12 volt conversions and how it effects the wiring.
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

h~moto wrote:Sounds like you might have an earlier year wiper switch on your car. I know that VW's from the `50's used screw terminals instead of spade connectors. I'm not sure at what year VW made the change to spade connectors.
As far as where the wire goes, you may want to check out the following wiring diagram and compare it to what you've got:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... /bug66.jpg

I just reread your post and noticed that you mention a 12 volt relay. Has your car been converted to 12 volt? I have no experience on 12 volt conversions and how it effects the wiring.
Yes, the PO of the PO converted it to 12 volts (albeit badly) Stock 6 volt starter and flywheel were in place when I got the car. All so he could use a POS 80s am fm cassette stereo.

Maybe, since it is a black wire, it just needs to be grounded. I wonder where the grounding location is for this motor?
--
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The ground strap is on the front trans mount to one on the nose cone studs and under a nut and washer.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

I don't believe there is a grounding wire for the wiper motor. I think the motor is grounded directly to the car.

I have heard that some go with a 1967 wiper motor when their car is converted to 12 volt. Here is the wiring diagram for a `67 Beetle:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... /bug67.jpg

Does this look like the wiring you got?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

sorry I miised which motor. Hope this helps.
Attachments
wiper.jpg
wiper.jpg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 8447 times