Windsheild leak

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

BritishBaja

Windsheild leak

Post by BritishBaja »

Our Bug is leaking around the windscreen, drivers side at middle bottom appears where the water comes in, The previous owner had installed new window rubbers, Looking at it , it does not have the chrome strip most I have seen have got and looking at the Heritage VW website that tends to suggest it could be a 1200 screen rubber, he kept telling me it was a 1200 before the engine change but on the log book it says Model 1300 and as I can see the 1300 super-seeded the 1200 in 66 the year my car was registered, So really I'm asking do you think he has fitted the wrong window rubber, which isn't fitting properly. Pressing on the rubber there appears to be some movement in the bottom corners of the screen is this normal, or signs of bad fit ???? Any help appreciated.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

It could just be cheap rubber, or there's rust under the seal. The only way to be sure is to remove the windshield and install new rubber. The type with the anodized metal garnish molding is available.

1200 or 1300 rubber doesn't matter as long as it's for the proper model year, and earlier pre-'65 rubber wouldn't fit at any rate because it's much too small.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Blue Baron wrote:It could just be cheap rubber, or there's rust under the seal. The only way to be sure is to remove the windshield and install new rubber. The type with the anodized metal garnish molding is available.

1200 or 1300 rubber doesn't matter as long as it's for the proper model year, and earlier pre-'65 rubber wouldn't fit at any rate because it's much too small.
Can't argue with Blue Baron there, almost certainly a poor quality seal, replace it with a good quality original seal or OEM/German wether it's made for the chrome trim or not, it's the quality of rubber and shape/fitting that makes the difference.

Unfortunately it sounds like the previous owner was confused, did'nt have the knowledge or tried to big up some descriptions of the parts, that's the great thing about this place - straight forward honest advice and answers :-)
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

... Or it simply just leaks. Sometimes even the good stuff leaks due to improper installation, or for reasons that are inexplicable.

I have experienced an unexplicable leak on a windshield that had new quality rubber, properly installed. One fix is to buy a tube of clear silicone, the type with the long, pointed cap, lift the edge of the rubber and silicone along underneath it. It stopped the leak for me, and the silicone is invisible under the rubber.
Last edited by Blue Baron on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

redundant post -- please remove.
BritishBaja

Post by BritishBaja »

It was sealed using silicon squeezed into thee rubber seal 8)
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'll go pat myself on the back now. :lol:

In actuality, the factory manuals advise using a sealant when replacing the windows.