Optima Batteries

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Kind of related question: I was watching one of those car re-build shows on TV. They were working on an old 50's domestic car with a 6 volt system that wasn't strong enough to operate add-on door lock solenoids ....so, they put in an 8 VOLT battery, rather than convert to a 12 volt system. I'm a fairly senior guy, but have never heard of an 8 volt car battery. Would that maybe be an option for us VW guys .....and 8 volt battery running off of a 6 volt generator?
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

8v has been around for a long time and is used in older Ford Tractors and also Golf carts. Just know if you use one, you will have to "tweak" the voltage regulator for the proper output from the generator. The 8V battery will need 9.2 volts summer and 9.5 volts for winter from the generator/VR. There are plenty of articles on the internet that talk about how to "tweak" the VR. Also, the Battery Tender company makes an 8v maintenance charger like you run or a motorcycle or car when not in use for long periods. Hope that helps....
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

You folks need to stop worrying about spending an extra $40 and think about rusting your floorpans with battery acid. An Optima pays for itself in long life to begin with. I have a 6-volt Optima going on nearly a decade old and still works great. And they won't rust the floor.
Roadbug

Optima

Post by Roadbug »

Again this year I had to replace the NAPA 19L. This time I bought the Optima 6 Volt and laid it on it's side. Works great.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.