6v radio

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

pira114

6v radio

Post by pira114 »

I want to get a 6v radio for the bug. I did a search for them, and only found links to people looking for one or looking to convert.

Anyone know where to find one? Are they even still made?

Thanks
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi, I found this website:
http://www.oldtimer-radio.de/

The site defaults to German, so if you want English click on the American flag. Next, click the "Shop" section. Next, select "Volkswagen" from the list then scroll down.

A bit pricey.
'66 Type I
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Wow. Those are pricey! But thanks. That's the only website I've seen that sells them. Only problem is that it doesn't seem to label them by exact year and I couldn't fine one with silver knobs. Didn't the '66 come with silver knobs? Would they be interchangeable?

Thanks a bunch for finding that for me. My search fu must be weak.
branston

Post by branston »

do a search on thesamba.com, you will find many for sale.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Thanks. I must be webtarded when it comes to searching that site. I've had trouble finding radios and seats and others have been able to quickly find them for me. Must be the search terms I'm using. :oops:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I've found them on ebay as well - keep looking they are out there.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Well, the original radios seem a bit expensive for me. But I found the retro "modern" ones that kinda look like the originals, but are digital and have the auxiliary port which would be really nice for me. I might get the original radio later if I can find the time and money to do a complete restoration.

My question now is if anyone had any experience with the 6v to 12v converters and if any are better than the others? Some are really pricey and some are not. Are any of them worth it? I'm not switching to 12v, that's for sure.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

If you get a 69's blaupunkt off ebay, chances are it will have a din connector that you can wire an ipod into.

I bought my restored Blaupunkt off ebay for £125 which I thought was good value, especially as it came with the correct ivory knobs etc.

Alex.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Thanks. Guess I've been looking at much higher priced ones. Haven't seen one for less than $300. I don't shop off of ebay or craigslist too often. I've been burned before, and there's not much recourse when the used item you purchased does not work. But thanks for the info.
branston

Post by branston »

Just paste this link into your browsers address bar and you should get a list of radios on samba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... s=6v+radio
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Cool thanks! I must not be putting the correct search terms in because I can never get it to show me that list of radios. Thanks again.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I have the original 6 volt radio that came out of my 1966 Beetle. It does not work and can be bought reasonably.