A Real Newbie

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
mistered1966

A Real Newbie

Post by mistered1966 »

Hi Folks! Ed Newbegin, new member. Just bought my '66 Bug off the street a couple of days ago. She runs well, has a slight oil leak. Color is pearl and has the white seals around the windows. Previous owner put in a 1600 engine and I'm slowly getting to know it.

I've already seen some great info in the Tech forum that will help me get her running and looking even better. Current issues include no signal or brake lights, a half-dollar sized hole under the battery compartment and two bald tires, along with the oil thing.

Also noticed a kind of weird undercoating, almost like roofer's tar on the floor pan. Feels like hard plastic. I'll post pics as soon as I get the time to do a thorough job. Look forward to lots of great advice here!
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Welcome to the forum Ed! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new ride.
mistered1966

Photos of the New Ride

Post by mistered1966 »

agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Very nice! Looks like it was pretty well cared for. A few minor areas needing a little attention, but nice for a 44 year old car. Again, welcome!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Nice looking Beetle Ed - congrats! Welcome to the Forum!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Nice looking little car. The "roofer's tar" is the factory tar boards used for sound deadening if it's inside. After 44 years they're definitely more like plastic than tar.

You can get a battery tray replacement piece from wolfsburg west and fix that rust hole, it's pretty common.