1300 Rebuild

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Desert Rat 74

1300 Rebuild

Post by Desert Rat 74 »

Is there a 1300 rebuild kit out there? Do I have to make it a 1600 to rebuild it?
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I don't know but I'm interested in hearing the experts weigh in on this forum. I will probably rebuild my 1300cc this winter and I'm inclined to keep it absolutely stock. Probably silly right?
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I don't know but I'm interested in hearing the experts weigh in on this forum. I will probably rebuild my 1300cc this winter and I'm inclined to keep it absolutely stock. Probably silly right?
ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Can't the cylinders be replaced with same size remakes? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, that old VW's had removable cylinders. Could be complete BS...

I am relatively new to beetle mechanics and have not made it far into engine repairs yet. Hopefully someone else can give you some concrete info on stock rebuilds.
Heather

Post by Heather »

As per my understanding there is NO kit for the 1300 else I would have bought that one, my friend who is the brain said so. We looked everywhere online & talked to people. Due to the fact no one is making the pistons, he did talk to one guy who had some proto-type pistons but was not selling them yet? I ended up buy a 1600 rebuild and keeping my crank case/cam shaft etc so...if you where to look at it you'd never know it was a 1600 inside but when i get it on the road i will have more power and will be able to get up a hill, lol.
I am keeping it as stock as possible for me and my budget so this was the best option, for me.
branston

Post by branston »

I rebuilt my 1300 F0 engine last year. The cylinders were within tolerance when i measured them, Bought 77mm NOS rings and wrist pins on thesamba.

new valve guides and flycut by ocal VW shop and reassembled with new exhaust valves only. Runs sweetly

Since I did it I have seen a few sets of 77mm NOS barrels and pistons come up for sale on samba.

There are a few NOS out there!
Heather

Post by Heather »

That's good to know. I wasn't savvy one thesamba then.
branston

Post by branston »

Heather you have PM
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

there out there but pricey,not in kit form like the 1500 bore kits. which are direct bolt ons for the FO case.the 1300 was under powered in there mines i guess and bumped the displacement up.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife