6 Volt generator issues

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Christophers1966

6 Volt generator issues

Post by Christophers1966 »

Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to the world of the beetle and 6 volt systems. Obviously I have a '66 bug 1300. I have attached a REALLY rough drawing (sorry, i suck at drawing) of my generator and how it's been hooked up. No matter what my red light will not go off and my battery does not seem to charge. It's a re-maned generator which came with no instructions so I winged it. Obviously there are the two brush wires coming out, but there is a third wire in this new generator. Is this a grounding wire? When I took the first generator out it was original and it didn't have any kind of grounding lead, i'm assuming it grounded to the block? Further more, how can I test the actual voltage output from the generator to the regulator? Any help would be appreciated, it's starting to drive me crazy!

Here is my crude drawing.

Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi. Can't read the drawing, but have you checked the drive belt to make sure it's not slipping. Cheers
Christophers1966

Sorry this is cleaned up some.

As for the tension on the belt, no slack it turns the generator just fine.
Attachments
Crude Drawing.JPG
Crude Drawing.JPG (41.66 KiB) Viewed 14610 times
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi Chris. Sorry, but after studying your drawing the only suggestion I have is to charge up the battery with a battery charger, then take the car into an auto electrician to do the repair for you. Sorry I wasnt able to assist. Cheers
branston

Post by branston »

Kiwi66 wrote:Hi Chris. Sorry, but after studying your drawing the only suggestion I have is to charge up the battery with a battery charger, then take the car into an auto electrician to do the repair for you. Sorry I wasnt able to assist. Cheers
Kinda struggling with this too. '66 1300' wiring is pretty simple. I think 2 of your wires are brush wires and just plain hanging out of the generator.

A '66 6v generator should have on terminal B+ a fat red wire from the ignition switch and a second fat red wire from terminal 30 on the starter solenoid plus the blue thin wire to dash light to terminal 61. and that is it.

more diagrams here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... 66_USA.jpg
Christophers1966

Does anyone have an exploded internal view of these generators of what they are supposed to look like? I want to make sure its all correct inside... Starting to anger me this problem is, i'm usually pretty savy with electrical work.
jarad

Post by jarad »

I know this post is 5 years old, but did you polarize your generator after you installed it?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I sure hope it wasn't just a $2 set of brushes, and you didn't need to replace the generator at all.