My 2010 technology 66 Bug

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Hey Gregg,
Hope you are having a good weekend! So, your carpet kit. It looks to fit very well. Seams and grommets, did they work out as you wished? Was that kit from sewfine? Is there a quality type label so I can look it up? Thanks!

Benjamin
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

It came from Sewfine, but there is no label. I believe they cut and stitch their own. Yes it fit pretty well, but did require some work. Overall, the carpet quality itself was not overly fantastic. There may be higher quality out there.
1966 Full Custom Restoration- Made it My Way!- Not for the Purists. http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=904
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Thanks Gregg.... I used a premium loop kit from TMI on a 1960 resto I did a couple months back. The fit was good but not perfect. The grommets for the heat Chanel vents were poorly placed. And the back seat floor section didn't reach the partitions under the back seat until much finesse. I really want something high quality and well fitted for the interior restoration of my daily driver 66. And then also for the other 66 which will be more custom along the lines of yours. The german loop kit from TMI is $500. But may be worth it, if I knew it fit like a glove. I have been talking a little with Pete from Airkewld a little on Facebook. I might ask him what the best carpet kit he likes. Have you used any TMI products Gregg? The headliner I got from them was good with the exception of the windlass part that covers the B pillar. Not so good. The seat upholstery and the high density seat foam was good and fit real nice. Did you order any Pre molded seat foam or did you build that yourself? Thanks Gregg!

Benjamin
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Sorry for the poor grammar.. It has been a long week and am wore out, I can't even seem to speak properly..
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Benjamin I havent used TMI, but I have heard pretty good things about them. I don't remember what I paid for just the carpet from Sewfine, but I don't think it was even half of what you said your TMI carpet was, so I'm sure the carpet quality of the TMI is probably better. I thought mine seemed thin and lightweight with less loops per square inch than what I anticipated. Yes I used pre-made foam on my seats, but would use the coconut hair mats the next time. Although comfortable, I think you get a better overall shape with the hair mats.
1966 Full Custom Restoration- Made it My Way!- Not for the Purists. http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=904
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Hi Gregg. The TMI kit I have used is the premium loop kit which is about $225 for the whole car. Like I said it was good, not perfect. But, the German made kit, which I have not used is $500. I would hope for that price it is near perfect. I may go that route for the interior on my daily driver 66. If anyone has used the German kit I would sure like to know what you think.
I hope all is well for you Gregg. Thanks again for your input!

Benjamin
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Smokin' hot.

Damn fine job for a garage resto, you should be proud of what you've done.
bbarbre72

Post by bbarbre72 »

Love your car. I visit this topic every time I am working on my 66 for ideas and information. Your color choices are some of the best I have seen for this type of project. Great job! Love the details!
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

And so the end of the story, I sold the VW last weekend on Ebay. Turns out he is a fellow that has a classic car business where he buys and sells classic cars. He says he is taking the VW to the Mecum auto auction next month, so who knows where it might show up. It might end up in your part of the woods. It has been real fun being on this forum and sharing my project with you. I hope whether you liked what I did with the car or pissed you off with my modifications, you were either inspired or learned something you didn't know. The whole point was to take everyone through a complete process that tried to document as much as possible while showing what can be done with enough imagination and of course money.
If I learned anything it was that most VW aftermarket parts are not that high of quality and you need to stick with the better companies like Wolfsburg West. I highly recommend Sewfine Interiors in TX, AirHead, Aircooled, Berg Enterprises, Classic Car Connections, West Coast Metrics, Nostalgic Air, Watsons Street Works and Airkewld. Chirco was ok with quality, but higher priced. CIP1 quality left something to be desired and the shipping was terribly slow. Midwest Motor Works had quick shipping when parts were in stock, which was seldom, but the quality was not there. For everyone that read my thread and made comments, thank you. It appears mine has the highest number of views on this forum and I take pride in that. This project and thread came at a time in my life where I was diagnosed, had surgery, and recovered from prostate cancer. I needed the distraction that this provided, and I appreciate you all.
I wish you all well, and don't be afraid to get in there and do it yourself. Do it the way you want it, and don't worry about what others think. It is your car make it the way you want.
Good luck and GOD bless!
Gregg
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Thanks for sharing your story and car with us here on the Forum! It really was a beautiful one of a kind bug. Too bad VW wasn't able to come up with something similar when they rolled out the new beetle (I have an '05 vert)! Thanks Again Greg!
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

So my VW made it to Mecum, and it looked awesome on television. So here is the final chapter. It is so awesome to have my work validated by having millions of viewers see it in it's glory. Here is a video I made off the television program. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/OZxiJ8If_n4
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

WOW! That was very cool - must have been bittersweet to see it at auction!
1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

What a beautiful job on the bug. Thanks for such a thorough job with the build along with the many pictures posted. This will definitely help when I get rolling on my '66 build.
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Well the bug may have a new owner now, but it will always be a part of me, so what better way to to still have it?
Got this tat Friday, "BADD BUG" was my license plate. I think it turned out pretty darn nice!

1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

Dude, that is freaking BAD ASS!! :thumleft: