My 2010 technology 66 Bug

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

I finished the second go round on the block sanding on the top, and it turned out real nice. I wet sanded it last night, and plan to wet sand everything else over the next few days. The current plan is to paint the maroon next Saturday, assuming I get decent weather and all the rest of the wet sanding done. I also plan to paint all the rear interior metal with "Rust Bullet" and install the "Rattle Trap" sound deadener on all of that and the inside of the roof, before I put the body back on. I'll update with new paint pictures after next weekend.
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

I painted one of the old rear fenders this morning so I could make sure the paint color I chose looked like I thought it would, before shooting it on the entire car. It was exactly what I wanted, and I plan to shoot the rest of the body next Saturday. Anyway here is what it looks like next to the black. Picture all the gray primer that is left will be the same as this fender. Tell me if you like it.

pira114

Post by pira114 »

I don't like it.

I LOVE it! Seriously, NC isn't that far from Ca, is it? I could use your skills around my car! Can't wait to see it finished.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

So it was a very long day, 100 plus degrees outside and around 90 in my garage. I used slow reducer and did not have any problems and painted the maroon on the main body today. I order the AC evaporator/vent assembly yesterday along with quite a few other goodies. I want to get that all mounted and figured out while the body is still on the cart, which will be much easier than once the body is back on the chassis. I'll be placing the interior order this week with SewFine Interiors. Things should start coming together a lot quicker over the next two to three months. I'll start buffing out the clear coat next weekend probably. Anyway, here are pictures of the fruits of my labor today. I'll probably be putting the body back on the chassis in about two weeks. I can't wait to see those Foose wheels next to the paint!

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

agggilli

Post by agggilli »

So my so-in-law has been doing the polishing of the clear while I've been at work. It has worked well, because he is better at it then me. I've been getting some new parts in recently. The polishing is finished now, and I've begun to layout the components for the electrical system. I got the new gauges installed today temporary enough to create the wiring harness. I also have the AC evaporator mounted. My son-in-law got the remaining Rattletrap sound deadening finished as well. The interior has been on order for about two weeks with a four week estimated lead time. I plan to install the headliner and the rear interior before I put the body back on. It will be easier to do the headliner installation with the ability to stand up in the body. I ordered a new radio today and a new 12 volt armature for the windshield wiper motor, as well as new wiper shaft drives. Anyway, I'm leaving the pictures large today so you can see more details as it starts coming together.

Last edited by agggilli on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

I LOVE that dash!!! Very slick indeed. Nice work.

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

So my son-in-law and I have been working on the interior all week. This is the first time he has ever done anything like this and he has done really nice work. He is a quick learner and takes direction well. I show him what to do and he does it really nicely. I've been working on the wiring while he has been doing most of the interior. I also rebuilt the wiper motor today as a 12 volt version by changing the armature. Then I polished it out on my polisher and we sandblasted and powdercoated the wiper frame assembly to get it ready for rebuilding with new bushings and wiper arm drives. I also installed the new sunvisors, but didn't get a picture of those. I was going to install the glass, but found out I ordered the wrong rubber! Crap, now I have to return the rubber I have and they are going to send me the right stuff, but it currently is on back order. I think I will be putting the body back on the chassis this week. We will probably start on the seats this week too. Anyway here are some new pics of the interior so far. The headliner is called "Red Clay" tweed. It is maroon woven with tan. It is kind of hard to see in the pics other than at the door jamb.

First some factory insulation on top of the Rattletrap. Followed by the rear package shelf, then some headliner and carpet.
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

Here is a couple of wiring in progress and new factory knobs on the AC.

ImageImage
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

We got the body back on the chassis Thursday evening after work, and it went real well. Kris and I spent the rest of the evening installing all the pan bolts. Friday night Kris got the front speaker kick panels carpeted and the speakers installed. I spent today installing the new "Retro-sound" radio, the newly rebuilt wiper assembly and continued working on the wiring. I didn't get a picture of the new radio installation, it really looks nice. I'm still waiting on the rubber seals for the window glass. Tomorrow we will probably install the remaining carpeting and start on the rear seat. Here are a few pictures.

First the wiper assembly. It was sand blasted, powder coated and new transmissions and bushings installed. The motor was converted to 12 volts with a new armature. I then polished the housing.
ImageImage

Then the body finally back on the chassis! Hallelujah!!!

agggilli

Post by agggilli »

I worked on the electrical all weekend. It's about 90% done at this point and I got the radio all in. Kris worked on the carpeting and got that all done and the front kick panels and speakers completed. He installed the new shift boot and e-brake boot too. Yeah, I didn't use the custom ones I had made, as they didn't match the material I chose for the seats and door panels. I just had Sewfine make new ones to match. I still have to build a custom console to hold the two air gauges and switches. I bought enough bulk material to match the interior to cover it with, so it should look good in there. Here are some new interior pictures. I'll paint the glove box door and ashtray when I paint the fenders and hood, so until then they are off.

pira114

Post by pira114 »

That is really coming out beautiful! Can't wait to see the final result.

By the way, what kind of radio is that? Sorry if I missed it in your descriptions earlier.

agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Thanks, the radio is made by Retro-sound. It is sold by Cip1 and Mamotorworks, probably others as well.
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

We worked on the back seats this week. They turned out real nice. My window rubber came in, so we plan to install the front and rear glass today and start on the front seats. The quarter glass is now back ordered until 9/20. Here are the rear seat pictures. The few wrinkles from where the seat upholstery was folded have already disappeared as of this morning.

ImageImageImage

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Beautiful workmanship!
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

It has been a few weeks since my last update, so I thought I would do that tonight. We finished the front seats and the center console. We alos got the new assist straps installed. I put a new aluminum shift ball on the Empi shifter and also a new Shuttie handle on the e-brake. We have the Pyle 8" bazooka sub in the back area behind the rear seat, and got the wiring all hooked up. The radio and amps are installed and we tested them the other night. I got the security system installed in the glove box, and other than painting and installing the glove box door and the ash tray, the interior is finished.
We installed a new windshield, as the old one had one small rock chip that cracked during installation. The rear window went in fine, and the two rear quarter windows finally came in too and went in fine. So all in all, we have gotten quite a bit accomplished in the last two or three weeks. Now I have to get back on the body and finish it up. As you probably remember I got burn't out doing all the metal repair, sanding, priming, sanding, priming block sanding and painting on the main body, that I decided to take a break and do the interior and wiring before starting up again.

So anyway, we dug the doors out last night and stripped them down to get ready to accept the power window assemblies and power door lock assemblies. The passenger side turned out to be in really nice condition, however the drivers door is a mess. The thing has been hit and is full of bondo and is in pretty bad shape. The lower hinge is loose as the door metal has rotted away where the hinge welds on. I think I'm going to try and find another door that is in good shape, rather than try and repair this one. If it was just a matter of replacing the skin, that would be one thing, but since the structure at the hinge is shot, I think I'll just have to find a new door.

Anyway, as always, here are some new pictures. Here are the front seats in process and in place. The passenger side wasn't in yet in some of these.
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

And here are some close-ups of the center console completed.

I think I'll install my bulkhead fittings and freon hoses for the evaporator this weekend. We'll probably work on the one good door while I continue searching for a new drivers side door. I was going to order the fenders next week, but now I'm waiting to see what I come up with for the door first. So does anyone know for sure, I need a door from either 65, 66, or 67 correct? Someone told me 64 and earlier are different and 68 and higher are different. Is this correct?
thetinkerr

Post by thetinkerr »

I believe you are correct. 'pre 64 has smaller windows and '68 and up has the side mirror mounted to the door instead of the hinge. I have some good '66 doors but not sure what shipping from WA would be....