Adding gas always a problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cal.Duke

Adding gas always a problem

Post by Cal.Duke »

You pull the trunk lid release to add gas, and walk around to the front to lift it up and you find out that it is still latched. After doing this about three times I give up and ask for a hand.
What can I do to get the release on the lid and open it by myself?
OD#3

Post by OD#3 »

On my '66, after I pull the release, the trunk is unlatched allowing me to just step outside and pull up on the trunk handle. However, my trunk is a little hard to close (new trunk seal). So I guess that when I pull the release, the trunk raises up just enough to clear the latch mechanism under the handle. How's your trunk seal?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

That's exactly right. It's pressure from the hood seal that actually pops the lid open when you pull the cable.

If the seal is good, have someone pull the cable and look into the hood latch on the front apron to make sure it's releasing fully. There is a cable adjustment to make corrections. If it's opening fully, you can experiment with shortening the length of the push bar on the back of the handle to put more pressure on the closed lid.
Cal.Duke

Post by Cal.Duke »

Yeah I looked at the seal looks old, will replace soon. I'm sure that will work.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

The guy I bought mine from had the same issue. His solution? To never latch the hood and secure it with a bungee cord!! No kidding. For a few bucks on a new seal, I fixed it. It's not hard. You can do it yourself.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis