My Flash trim Bug

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Aircooledbenny

My Flash trim Bug

Post by Aircooledbenny »

I can remember posting nearly a year ago on this site but I hadnt passed my driving test when i posted... and I guess in the scene i don't come acros as a serious VW owner.

here was the picture i posted then

But things have changed now and im on the road, and using the ol' 66 beetle as daily driver to get me to school and back every day :D

here is a picture of my bug taken in the Snowy days we've just had, you can see the height of it there.

Lowered one spline and a bit at the front

once show season starts i want it lowered as much as possible. I love the stance and camber of a slammed pre 67 bug!

This is how it was before i passed my test, my dad lifted it a bit due to the large difference from a modern instructors car to a 40 odd year old car is gunna be different, going to a stiff ride is just gunna make it alot harder

But hopefully it will look like this again at one point

Once lowered it will have lower profile tyres onto the front so it doesnt rub

Ive got non-european spec bullet indicators to go on it soon

Ablert mirrors to go on too, just like the red restowagen bug that is a 66 too i believe? ( alberts took over a month and a half to get delivered from karmannkonections.. and still waiting on a Bamboo shelf to go under the dash! :shock: )

This is the interior

original everything, some things still great... some things still good... some things... okay .. you can see where this is going :roll:

I really love driving the bug and couldnt ask for any other car!
there are a few problems with it
Rust on the bottem of both doors.
there is a water leak somewhere that cant find at the moment, but if it carrys on it could start to rust the floor pans and heater chanals that have only been restored just before i bought it. Similar story with the spare wheel well, i think i need new rubbers for that

Also there is a problem with second gear, pops out now and again and when it does eventually go into second, it feels like im driving in 4th gear!

now you can imagen just pulling out of a busy uphill junction where the acceleration is a huge importants to not getting hit from the side, or behind ... and then second gear goes and im like :evil:

haha, saying that... the past week it has got better and better!

I cant say I had high expectations due to the fact its a 43/44 year old car and before i started using it as a daily about 2/3 weeks ago, it hadnt run properly for 12 years :roll:

I have also taken the original 66 wheels off, they were rusty, dirty and in a horrible state. I also love the smooth look of the older versions...

Once ive got more money and the spare time,
They will be sand blasted and re painted, and the original hub caps re-cromed and used for show wheels as they are becoming more and more desireable now... im even seeing the wheels on busses now!

Will try post more regularly now I'm an official VW owner and drivier now :wink:

Benny
Last edited by Aircooledbenny on Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Benny! Nice to see you are on the road now, congratulations! My first car was a 66 beetle as well - and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Of course now I don't drive mine in the snow but I remember how much fun and how great they handled in the winter. John
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

I said to everyone for about 2 years i was gunna get a 66 bug and then finally got one! I didnt want anything else and actually being able to drive one is amazing.

Though.. today it was raining and my wipers dont work very well and i dont think i did the rainex properly so i couldnt see anything.. and i lost a hub cap!!! :(

didnt drive mine too much in the snow because then i had only had just over a week of independant driving experience, and i had never driven in the rain or bad weather in my driving lessons because i was lucky :D

MOT coming up , think its going in monday for a new one so fingers crossed lol :lol:
Boris1966

Post by Boris1966 »

Hi Benny,
That car has loads of potential.
My first car was a 1964 pearl white beetle with red interior. I now own a 1966 Java green. Very special car......... good luck and have great fun driving it!
:)
Attachments
10-8-080009.JPG
10-8-080009.JPG (84.11 KiB) Viewed 37558 times
Rückspiegel

Post by Rückspiegel »

Hey Benny,

great Job!
I own the same combination similar to your Bug.
Pearlwhite and pigall interior, Exportmodell in a ratty look.
Only 2 differences to yours: sunroof and LHD

Hope I get it legal soon and back on the road.
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

nice thats cool! would love a sunroof / rag top bug!

i dont think il run it rat forever, but it will have to do till i can afford a proper resto. Id rather run it rusty on the outside and solid on the in untill i can afford to do a proper job!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Love the white and red colour combination 8)

Great to see you driving it every day too!

Alex.
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Well we thought it was over, but the snow came back on wednesday and caused so much chaos in the town i live in ( folkestone )

What appeared to be a simple drive as i drove to the local sainsburys to give my bro a lift to work as his Mini cooper decided to blow a fuse and lost lights or something.

what would be a 10/15 min drive.. turned out to be the longest night ever!

Getting to sainsburys took an hour, and with ice and snow over the roads cars were going everywhere, no one was prepaired for it and alot of in-experience drivers just powering it on the ice not getting anywhere!

When i finally got to sainsburys, as I've only been driving a little over a month, no experience on the ice and i didnt want anyone sliding into my bug, I decided to ditch the bug in the car park well away from everyone else.

As my dad was on the way home he came and picked me up from sainsburys. He left his work at half 5 and didnt get to me about half 6!

Upon leaving sainsburys, We were then stuck in even more traffic and stuck in the ice and took 2 and a half hours to get home!

from leaving home at quater past 5, I finally got home at 8.30pm!

Had dinner, then my dad walked back to sainsburys to collect the bug, hoping traffic may have died down... and as bugs are good in the snow thought it would be a simple job, apparently roads were blocked by stranded cars and lorries, and my bug had a flat battery :evil:

What started out as a simple lift became a bit of a story haha, Bug was stuck at sainsburys till this morning , heres a pick of the snow on it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32523381@N02/4348946037/

they forcast 0-4" depending on your location.

at home we got 9" of snow in the garden and my bro went up the hills with is mate , They were walking along and a man shouted " can you move, your standing on a car "

after scraping away some snow they found a car completely covered in snow :shock:

bug is finally home and glad no damage on it, was a bit :? worried as next to sainsburys is a huge housing estate, and ive seen a few bugs with foot prints on the roofs before!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Cracking snow pic!

Can't beleve how much you had, here in Surrey we had just a very light dusting if that!

Alex
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

yeh we had loads and then everyone else seemed to have nothing!

went up the hillls today and i found the a car alot of people have been talking about, completly covered in snow, i reckon about 4/5ft of snow easily! will upload the pictures tomorrow 8)
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Heres a link to the picture of the car stuck under about 4/5ft possibly 6ft of snow! Absolutely crazy most snow ive seen in my life!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30567413@N06/4360070945/

going along this road, where the snoww on the road has been pushed aside by god knows what, there are banks about 10ft high of snow!

yet if you drove anywhere else it kent, theres was hardly any snow!
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Awesome day today, have painted my car abit and put some trim on, LOVE IT. 8) 8) 8)

show you the process here ;D

Taping out the area for paint

Getting rid of the top layer of paint

Onto the point of no return :o

Painted and added these Wulfsburg mud flaps to the back, always hitting the ground now haha

back onto the drive! I really like it.

All the trim has been cut and bent by ourselves, mainly from running board trim. We got it all free inc paint ( same used on the wheels )so turned out really good ! :D
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I'm really loving the new look of your 66! The shot of your Bug and the buses is awesome!!! That's a poster ready to be marketed.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Lookin' great!

Alex.