Windsheild & headliner

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scruffy

Windsheild & headliner

Post by scruffy »

:? Well I ordered new glass seals awhile back and tried to install my windsheild the other night and talk about a pain in the a##*^$#. After about 2 hours I finally got the rubber on the glass lube her up good with the string trick and threw it in the hole and then had only 1 beer!!! Then I checked with people of knowledge and then I realized I didn't have the chrome trim installed in the rubber first before sticking it in hole.which I didn't purchase yet because I thought I could stick that in later. It's just pretty chrome right.accessoriesWrong It won't go in once window is in.So I had 2 more bbeers Well go for it as easy as everyone says this is I'll just pull it out when my phantom chrome shows upand redo it. Well I grabs my string and start pulling everything going fine really impressed,I get all away around to the top about a foot to go and my string says no more and BREAKS.Now what one string left.Have 2 more :x Grab me a couple small screwdrivers[don't] and proceed to work the rubber in every thing going fine til I get to about 2 inches left, I get little adrenalin rush as things are coming together and CRACK! :evil: I put away a 12 pack now!!! :wink: So now I had to order a new windsheild, chrome all the way around cuz I have to pull the back one also to put in my new headliner I ordered.I don't know if I should try it again or take it to the body shop.Has anyone tried this on there own? and how about a headliner install? How much more BEER do I have to pick up? Give me a stinger or a wrench,I know what I'm doing but this,OBOY.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Jan

Post by Jan »

Oh man... I have to comment on this... pulling too many strings and drinking beer... hmmm... lubing things up and what not - gosh wish I was there!

That did make me cringe tho when you said you crack the windshield. Bet you said a few choice words and then some... they sell beer by the case too!

I have no advice to give you except drink more beer!
Jan
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:D I just took her for a drive,looked at my crack staring back at me swung by the liq.picked up 2 cases and who knows by tonight it won't look so bad.I'm glad I don't have my new windsheild yet.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Jan

Post by Jan »

All I can say is maybe not drink and install widshields at the same time, maybe the two don't go together - so this is what you do...when you get in the new windshield delivered to you... have a straight clear mind before installing and then after your success with it newly installed then you have a cause for real celebration in which John and I will join you then! Better yet... maybe you need John there first to help!

Sure hope it goes well next time and when all else fails... seek professional help! :wink:
Jan
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Hmmn! Professional help :? I don't know if my shrink knows anything about Volkswagens!
Jan

Post by Jan »

scruffy wrote:Hmmn! Professional help :? I don't know if my shrink knows anything about Volkswagens!
Oh my - you are busting me up... haha.... yah now that sounds like something John would say! My gosh! You are funny tho!

Sorry tho, I didn't mean to side track here on your topic but really hope your next windshield goes in fine with no complications at all!
Jan
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hey Scruffy: Shrinks don't know anything about volkswagens...just people who own them! The string trick IS supposed to be the way to get the windshield in without an issue - Myself, well I'm not as advanced as you are, so I take it to the glass shop and let them swear! The headliner is an ambitious project which will result in more swearing but lokking at all the impressive work you have done on your bug so far - I see no reason why you can't handle it. There is a video out there that takes you through the process step-by-step (I think it's a bugme video). Good luck - If you were just a little closer I would come up and give you a hand but your a good 9 or so hours from me - why don't you move closer - our neighborhood has a bunch of houses for sale - I could help you drink the beer and swear when things don't go right!

Love what you've done to your bug - I'm impressed!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Thank you, I have to get a JOB.I can't afford any more BEER.Ahh I'll Just take the wifes rainy day fund,she'll never miss it.Besides she doesn't go out in the rain! I am thinking about pulling the rear window and taking on the headliner when it comes.I've got a litre of EJ and if I grab me a bucket and look at it long enough maybe just maybe it will come to me.Throwwwwww everything in the car and drive to Wisconsin and have you put everything in and I'll play SHRINK and if your real good I'll let you have a sip out of my bottle.I love when Aa plan comes together!! :D
Jan

Post by Jan »

:mrgreen: Funny!
Jan
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Come on down - I've never done a headliner before - why not experiment? You are right though - that back window needs to come out in order to do the installation (as well as the rear passenger windows I believe) so you will need to buy more string (and possibly more beer) for the re-installation. So where did you get all you body work experience?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Seriously from the side of a Bondo can in 1972 when my 1st Wife smucked up the front end of my 65 Mustang and my 66 galaxicy,Hell it's been so many years ago I forgot how you spell it. But mainly no money,driving relics or as my new Wife[#4} says I'm CHEAP :lol: But at least I'm not easy! I have most of her put back together but there are still issues here and there to contend with on the exterior,never satisfied but it keeps me out of trouble. Still need new door panels, don't care for the price.A lot of money for vinyl covered masonite. I still have to pull my new tires off the rims and fire up my sandblaster. How do you 2 tone paint those suckers. inside first,outside? And how do you mask those bad boys? See told ya! never satisfied. :wink:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I've never done painting - although I'd love to be able to. Your right about the door panels but theres just not much of an alternative..unless you are good with vinyl too! So do you plan on getting to any of the shows this year with your bug?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

You know up here in the wastelands of the north you don't here of to many. I guess St Cloud has a Bug In once in awhile but that was quite awhile ago.These little critters are getting scarce around here or there like me and don't no where to go.Eau Claire would be cool if it wasn't for the fact of motoring through Mpls unless it was 3:00am. :x
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I may try to hit the EauClaire event this year. My daughter went to college up there so maybe I'll have the wife tow the travel trailer up and make a weekend of it!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Yes that would be fun!