'66 standard from Romania

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Paolo Dal Chiele

'66 standard from Romania

Post by Paolo Dal Chiele »

Hello everybody.

This topic will be dedicated to the restoration of a '66 beetle, European standard model, found in a yard where it was abandoned for more than 10 years. As mentioned the car is a standard model, and what was evident to me from the very first analysis was that most of the hard to find, specific parts of standard model were still in place.
The car is extensively affected by rust, but in general is in relatively good shape.
After sandblasting, the list of the panels to be replaced will be completed. In any case, the parts that are specific of the standard model, such as the bonnet and the fenders, will be repaired. I am lucky because the guys that will do the job are professionals with experience in airplane and helicopters body repair and restoration.
Stripping already started: in the next posts more information about standard model and the progress of the restoration process.
One more point: the car will be restored to its original specifications, and will be sample of how a '66 standard beetle look when rolled out from Wolfsburg gates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paolo Dal Chiele on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Some more pictures ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paolo Dal Chiele

As usual, the first phase of any project goes fast.
Stripping completed, engine ready to be sent to the mechanics, body ready for sandblasting.
The car will be sandblasted next week.
As can be seen, the body is badly rusted and extensive panel replacement and welding will be required. The right side door must be replaced since the one installed has been borrowed sometime in the past from a '70s beetle. The car has also been severely hit in the rear side, and very poorly repaired.
After sandblasting, the list of the panels to be replaced will be completed; NOS panels hunting begin.....
Paolo Dal Chiele

More pictures...
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Great project. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Nice to have such professional help!! I can't believe the vision and patience some of you guys have with these Bugs. Unbelievable, not for the faint of heart.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Wow Paolo, you have quite a project going and it looks like you are making great progress. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures as your beetle is transformed back to show room condition.
Paolo Dal Chiele

As scheduled, the body has been transferred to the sand basting shop, while the engine to the mechanic.
On the trailer (foreground) is also a set of 356 Lemmerz wheels, that will also be sandblasted, and that will probably be installed in the car.
In fact, I am considering the option to install on the car a kit Okrasa, and this set of wheels would represent a useful and correct improvement, together with a 4 tips muffler.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Waiting for the completion of sand blasting, let's go back to the moment when '66 beetles started, I mean August 1965.
It may be of some interest to read haw the than new 66 m.y. beetle was presented on Gute Fahrt.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Here are the following pages.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

This is going to be a very cool project! Standard Beetles are quite rare. It will be cool to see your Standard come alive in this forum.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Sand blasting completed.
As can be noticed, rust damages are not alone.
The car has been badly damaged in the rear left side, the body deformed and the alignment affected.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Other pictures
Paolo Dal Chiele

Other pictures 2
hotair

Post by hotair »

looks like you have your work cut out for you.

having been in several projects like this i can see that there has been several repairs done in the past. keep the pics comming i like to see other projects take shape. keeps me motivated on all of mine.

cheers ed
Paolo Dal Chiele

Works in progress: chassis