Washer Switch

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

rokemester

Washer Switch

Post by rokemester »

These are tough little buggers to come by. Is anyone sitting on a switch they can part with? I repaired my washer bottle and now have confirmed that my switch cannot seal properly, so once the bottle is pressurized the fluid begins to flow.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I've found a couple of switches but finding one where the valve works properly has been a challenge. I refuse to succumb to the 12v new pump solution. Just love the old school approach of the air pressure switch.
Attachments
The small washer has a hole clear through which probably isn't good. The valve may be OK though. These are not the easiest parts to deal with.
The small washer has a hole clear through which probably isn't good. The valve may be OK though. These are not the easiest parts to deal with.
DSC01323.jpg (9.62 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
exprof

Post by exprof »

IMHO, your best bet would be to toss your old switch and buy a two-speed switch meant for a '67. You can wire it to work on your single-speed motor as follows (just be sure that you get a switch that has readable terminal numbers):

If you can read the terminal numbers on the '67 switch the wiring would be as follows:

terminal 30--receives POWER from the fuse block

terminal 53b--gets NO connection (it would go to the HIGH speed side of the '67 wiper motor)

terminal 53--use the original BLACK w/PURPLE stripe, it would then go to terminal 54d, ("d" as in dog) on the original wiper motor

terminal 53a--use the original solid BLACK wire from the "original" switch terminal 54 and this wire goes to terminal 54 on the original wiper motor

terminal 31b--("b" as in boy, look close as they are small) use the original BROWN wire and connect it to the 31b terminal on the original wiper motor

terminal 31--for this terminal I made up a new wire and connected it to chassis ground as this it the way it would be on the '67.

Once you have wired up the switch, you will find that if you try to use the second switch position, the wipers will simply stop in place. Just switch it to the first position, and then back to OFF. Otherwise, your wipers should work just as they did before, "parking function" and all.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Sorry it took so long to respond to your insightful post. I hadn't thought of using a 67 two speed switch. Are these more available? If so I may have more luck finding a switch with a functioning fluid washer. I forgot to ask, will this switch work with a 6v system?

BTW my Bug hails from Iowa. The car was distributed by Imperial Motors of Chicago and delivered to Des Moines. If the original owner paid suggested retail he paid $1,736.50. The car grew up in Boone, Iowa.