VW Problems.

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Boysenberry

VW Problems.

Post by Boysenberry »

Hey Everyone,

I've only driven my bug a few months and know very little about the wiring and all the electrical parts. When I first got it the lights were working perfectly. Then one day they started flickering and would go out when going over bumps. I replaced the switch and now only the parking lights work with no high beams.

Also when I got it the horn would sometimes work and know nothing. I don't know where the horn is actually located, and I was thinking that maybe it just isn't in contact with the metal anymore.

If anyone has any suggestions or help that would be great. Thanks
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Boysenberry! As you have found electrical problems on a bug can be a real problem. This sounds like you may have a bad ground on your lights or any number of issues. The best way to tackle these is to get the wiring diagram and start to trace the wiring (There is a wiring diagram on the home page) You may want to start checking grounds first. The reason I think it may be a ground is the flickering when you go over bumps. The horn may be a different issue since they were all a little finicky but I'd start checking grounds and then go from there.
Boysenberry

Post by Boysenberry »

Great! Thanks!

I'll start checking all the grounds and then if not that then I will use the wiring chart.

Thanks A lot.