Electronic Ignition Help Please

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Kiwi66

Electronic Ignition Help Please

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi BB. Many thanks for the info regarding electronic igntion. I have a 1493cc engine. I had the supplier connect the electronic points so that I effectively had a "bolt on" unit. The coil is new an compatible with electronic ignition.
I installed the 009 dizzy using the original one as the guide, and initially set timing at 9 degrees. At TDC both the 009 and old dizzy rotor point to 5pm.
When I road tested the car the engine commenced to misfire especially at lower speeds. I varied the timing but still no joy. I replaced the 009 with the original distributor and everything worked just fine.
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?? Many thanks. Richard
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

First off the ignition must be timed before top dead center (BTDC) not at top dead center (ATDC).

Can't say without hearing it run, Richard. But obviously the problem is in the new dizzy. How are the cap and rotor? Were the plug wires installed correctly and pushed home in the cap? I know you didn't install the module, but are the magnets installed correctly and fully pushed down onto the distributor shaft? Is the gap between the magnets and the module set correctly? If you run into trouble you need to go back to whomever sold it to you and ask if it was prerun.

The Pertronix module (I'm assuming that's what you have) are easier to install than a set of points. There no substitute for installing it yourself to insure it's done right.
Kiwi66

Thanks. Solved

Post by Kiwi66 »

Thanks BB. I started afresh with the install. Firstly I removed and regapped the spark plugs to .75 (they were .70). I then reinstalled the unit taking special care with spark plug leads to the distributor. I rechecked the coil was functioning all ok and that the connections from the distributor were correct and tight. I then set the timing to 30 degrees at 3500rpm. This is the link http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#svda that I used for the information.
Then hey bingo - all works 100%

Thanks very much for replying. Your support was very very helpful. Richard
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

That's cool. You now have a trouble-free setup that should last the life of the car.