The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Dead After Long Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmspringsbeetle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Battery Dead After Long Trip Reply with quote

I just purchased my 66 today but had to drive about 90 miles home in the dark using the lights. By the time I got home the lights were barely working and battery dead. According to the seller, the battery has charged fine in the past, but I wonder if they drove much at night with lights? Is it poss the battery just cant charge fast enough to run the lights for a long period of time (abt 3 hours)? I also just thought of something.... the last 30 min of the trip is downhill (mostly) so the engine wasn't reving much---could that be it? Thanks Sad
Kiwi66

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. if it were me, I would check out the generator with a volt meter to ensure it was working correctly. Hope this helps.
Blue Baron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if the red speedometer light goes out and stays out after the car starts, the battery is charging. (A little glow at idle is okay.)

Sounds like you bought a car with a dud battery. After checking to make sure the generator is charging at the battery terminals, I would recommend that you purchase an Optima battery. It's dry cell, holds a strong charge longer and won't rust the floor.
fatalifeaten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure that all of your cables are connected tightly and grounded correctly. Clean any corrosion or replace anything that looks suspect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: