Vaccum Gauge

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Kiwi66

Vaccum Gauge

Post by Kiwi66 »

Being old school I have always fitted a vaccum gauge to my cars. Before fitting one to my Beetle I am checking in/wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences using a vaccum gauge in a bug. I dont think there should be a problem, but having never owned a Beetle before I thought it best to gather other people's experiences. Many thanks. Richard
couion

Post by couion »

A vacuum gauge is a good diagnostic tool. The camshaft in a beetle however has a good deal of valve overlap which means that the exhaust and intake valve are open together as the piston is moving down the bore. This can make it tricky to judge any vacuum related issues at low RPM's. If you familiarize yourself with these characteristics the gauge can be helpful.
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Many thanks for the feedback. For information in the past 24 hours I found reference to installing a gauge in the Haynes Volkswagen Beetle Owners Handbook and Serviceing Guide by A K Legg. This book deals with UK models 1954 to 1977. Will go ahead and install a gauge into my 1300. Richard