Ball Joints

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

chetabug

Ball Joints

Post by chetabug »

Hello. Let me start by saying this is a great site. Lots of great info. I just installed new ball joints. Are they supposed to be tightened and then backed off. They are very tight and will barely move. Thanks for your time. [/b]
couion

Post by couion »

The ball joints are slotted so that they pivot front to rear. If they were installed at an angle when they were pressed into the arms this would make them tight. If they were too far from being centered they would not move at all. Double check the joint to ensure that the slot faces directly foreward and rearward. This can be done by removing the grease boot and inspecting the joint where it pivots.
chetabug

Post by chetabug »

O.K. If they are inserted wrong. Would it be smart to to use the same ones or replace them again.
chetabug

Post by chetabug »

Thanks
couion

Post by couion »

If they come out in good shape and fit tightly back in I might consider re using them. Buying new ones is always the best bet for safety reasons.
chetabug

Post by chetabug »

You were right. The slots were in wrong. Thanks again for your help.
couion

Post by couion »

No problem. Glad to help.