doors

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

milt

doors

Post by milt »

Why do i have an arm rest or door pull on my passenger side but not the drivers side? It doesn't look like there was ever one on the drivers side and the one on the passenger side looks like it came from the factory. :?
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi Milt. Welcome to the forum. My New Zealand 66 is the same as yours. The only reason that I can think of for not having a driver side arm rest is in case it hinders the driver's ability to steer; i.e. a safey risk. Cheers. Kiwi66
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No idea why this would be - all three of my 66's came with arm rests on the drivers side - that being said we have certainly all talked on this forum about how we have noticed some subtle changes to 66's based on region. I suppose it could also be that someone bought a replacment panel that was not pre-drilled for an arm rest.
milt

Post by milt »

I went and looked at both doors again to see if i could tell any difference in the two door panels. All i found was the two panels looked weathered the same amount but the chrome strip on the drivers side went the full length and the passenger side quit on both sides of the door pull.
Australian1966

Post by Australian1966 »

i got an aussie built 66 and i have no drivers side arm rest
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

If your car has a driver's side arm rest, it's because the original owner ordered it as an accessory when the car was new (unlikely) or it was installed later on.

Beetles built prior to 1968 came stock with a passenger side armrest only, I can only surmise, because the Germans thought we should be driving and not resting our arms.