Heater again

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Kiwi66

Heater again

Post by Kiwi66 »

Sorry guys. This heater is causing some headaches. A couple more bits of info if you can help please. 1. Is the heater turned on when the control nob in the car interior is screwed down or screwed up? And 2. When the heater is turned on is the head of the rear heater flap lever where the cable is attached supposed to be full forward or full back? I just cannot figure out if the exchanger flap is closed or open and the books dont tell me. And the car is immobilised at present while I work on it so I cant do a road test to find out the positions. Thanks everyone. Richard
SeeBlauKafer

Re: Heater again

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Kiwi66 wrote:Sorry guys. This heater is causing some headaches. A couple more bits of info if you can help please. 1. Is the heater turned on when the control nob in the car interior is screwed down or screwed up? And 2. When the heater is turned on is the head of the rear heater flap lever where the cable is attached supposed to be full forward or full back? I just cannot figure out if the exchanger flap is closed or open and the books dont tell me. And the car is immobilised at present while I work on it so I cant do a road test to find out the positions. Thanks everyone. Richard
Hi Richard,

Sounds like a heater setup from an earlier car (or maybe a pan/chassis from an earlier car). My '66 doesn't have the knob on the floor (my 1956 oval does) instead my '66 has two levers on opposite sides of the hand brake one with a red knob and one with a white knob. One controls switching the heater on/off and one controls heat volume.

Anyway I never use the useless stale air heater in my '56 so I can't remember which way is on/off with the knob type heater controls. I'll check the '56 and answer your question.
'66 Type I
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Seems the specs of the down under models lagged a few years behind those for US vehicles. I have managed to acquire an old UK manual that shows the nob screwed down to close off the air. What is now of concern is the heat exchanger diagram shows a flap linked to the cooling system for the engine. Still trying to figure that one out & exactly how it works. Spent the Easter weekend removing fenders and rust proofing so didnt get around to the heater. Richard