Gas in the oil

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

spokaneDave

Gas in the oil

Post by spokaneDave »

OK, I have been having some issues with gas as of late. My bug has been leaking a gas/oil mixture. I drained the oil and low and behold, gas! I have gas in my engine. I replaced the fuel pump and m=pulled the carb to inspect the float. No problems I can see. The carb was recently rebuilt so all the gaskets are good. Everything checks out fine and I even ordered a new carb from JCWhitney. Bad mistake, the carb in from Brazil! So I am sending that back.

If it isnt the carb, what else could it be? My plan is to pull the motor during spring break and rebuild. Any clues on what I should look for?

Thanks
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

My bet would be that the carb is leaking gas down over the cylinders into the engine. It maybe that the float is not cutting off all the gas supply and it is slowly running down the hatch.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

spokaneDave
the only thing it can be is a bad carb.... if you want a carb that will be trouble free and set correcty the first time there is only one person
email Keith....This is mr. Carb himself..... check him out on THE SAMBA.
Matt

keifernet@hotmail.com

did you check compression
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

leaking needle valve in float bowl. I once got a bad valve in a kit that i had to add an extra shim washer to get the gas to shut off.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
BERHAN

gas in the oil

Post by BERHAN »

If you have a stock style fuel pump, the diaphram could be leaking and cause fuel to go directly into the oil
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Since this post dates back to January and it gets cold in Spokane, I'd guess you have manifold icing.

Make sure the preheat is hooked up and working on your air cleaner. Does your engine have the thermostat and directional vanes installed and working properly? If not, your engine won't warm properly. Also, you may have a plugged heat riser on the manifold.