Increase engine air intake

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cal.Duke

Increase engine air intake

Post by Cal.Duke »

Here is the deal the previous owners changed the engine from 1300cc to 1600cc. Maybe after doing so they came to the conclusion that they need more air intake. So they cut into the deck lid and added luvers, but it looks to much like fifth grade work. So I searched and searched and found a deck lid. The pre owner left me with some magz about VW .Ok I bought this "Cool Air Kit" from jcwhitney. Can't figure out how they go or if they do go. Any Help? I will ask them but thinking they might tell me to drill so thought I'd ask some VW owners first.

If I don't really need them let me know as well

Thank you
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I've never heard of the cool air kit, in all my 66's I have run with the standard set up and deck lids and never had a problem (I've had 1300 and 1600 engines). I'm sure if others on the forum have had experience with the JC set up they will chime in!
bajaaaron66

cool air kit!

Post by bajaaaron66 »

This cool air kit from jc whitney, is it the ones that raise the decklid up about a half an inch to allow more air flow? I have ones that bolt upto decklid hinges and it is really easy to install, no drilling needed. They look cool and they are functional,you need any more help just email me @ abirk@tampabay.rr.com. 8)
Cal.Duke

Post by Cal.Duke »

8) If I can figure it out with some help I'll put it, if not Thanks for the advice about not needing it :scratch: It just has me puzzeled why they cut out those two holes. Well thaks again
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

The "cool air kit" is commonly referred to as Decklid standoffs. They change the air flow, but the jury is out on whether or not they improve the air flow. FWIW, I run them on my '66

To install, you remove your decklid hangers from the body and bolt the aluminum pieces on to the body in their place., Then you bolt the decklid hangers to the aluminum and re-align everything.

Your PO was indeed probably trying to improve cooling with the louvers. You can look at getting a replacement decklid, they're not too spendy. Another option is to get a '66 convertible decklid. They have vents from the factory so you don't have to chop and hack. :)
Cal.Duke

more or less air

Post by Cal.Duke »

I have installed the stand offs, bajaaaron66 showed me some pictures to get the visual.
I'm not sure I like the way they look , I've adjusted numerous times, just seems to me that it looks lopesided.
I think she was hit previously as there is a widen hole on the left side where one of the bars that holds the bumper is, at first I thought that the rubber gromet was worn out. But I removed it to prove it was widen.
No worries my local Dubs part store has one or more in stock.
As for the stand offs the bump on my head says a no go as the spring does not work that way. There is another way to hold it up, hydralic hinge, but I think I'll work on the mechanics first as my child and wife would like to show her off some time in the spring.
Any ways here in New Mexico could it really get that hot to need more air for a 1600cc engine :?:
Well thank you all. 8)