Lucky I guess

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Cal.Duke

Lucky I guess

Post by Cal.Duke »

I was originally looking for a van.
I had two of them previously in my early 20's. A 65,and a 64. :oops: The 65 I rolled. The 64 got car jacked in Hollywood and crashed into a Mercedes Benz. :cry: Both VW gone within a year.
Fifteen years later and some maturing I decided I was ready for another VW. Vans have gone up in price a lot. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that I settled for a VW beetle I really wanted one at the age of 14, and I am very pleased too own this one.
How I came to own this 66 was by chance; I wanted a classic and found a 59 with semaphores, didn't know what semaphores were, looked them up and decided to pursue that VW from Ebay. The seller and I had a verbal agreement to sell to me if the reserve wad not meet by the time I viewed her. When ready to seal the deal he changed his mind to let it ride on Ebay. Well it was less than a thousand dollars of what I was offering, but wasn't willing to make a secound journey to buy.
I still wanted a classic Vw, looked in the Sunday Paper, Found one , Seen it, Bought it.
It was a day later that I realized the treasure that I bought was a jewel, loaded with monumental ground breaking history.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Nice story and a lucky find, I saw the picture of your bug on the new members thread, she looks very sweet!
Cal.Duke

Post by Cal.Duke »

Thank you I'll get some more pictures within the next couple of weeks. Trying to find some time to work on the VW, but the mornings and evenings are still cold. Plus multitasking the honey due list, have allready been told I'm spending too much time with the VW.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It's hard to keep the second half and VW happy sometimes! :lol: