Gas hog!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

spokaneDave

Gas hog!

Post by spokaneDave »

For some reason it seems as though I am going through gas like crazy! Last month, I had taken my car in to get the distributer changed as well as have the carb rebuilt. The mechanic, who is reputable, said my carb was shot and put installed a rebuilt used one. Since getting my car back, it seems to run just alright. Pretty rough and it seems as though it is running rich. Not being that experienced with the mechanics of the 1600cc, or with vw's in general, what can I do to make her run a bit smoother? By the way, he also replaced the plugs, fuel filter, belt, adjusted the valves, and timed her.

Could I be going through so much gas because of my bug running rich? When Im talking gas, Im thinking a 1/4 tank in 3 days (about 35 miles). Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to call, I will be working on her tonight. 509-475-4839. Thanks again!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

sounds like you need to yell at your mechanic.

Check the float level, see if it's incorrectly set and allowing fuel to dump in. Check the timing and the valve adjustment. make sure they're to spec.

What kind of carb did he use to replace your with?
couion

Post by couion »

Check the carb. If it is a Brosol they do have a tendency to run rich and go through fuel.