6 Volt to 12 Volt

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cherokee

6 Volt to 12 Volt

Post by Cherokee »

Hi
When i bought my Beetle the seller told me it had been changed to 12 Volt. This seems to be the case, the battery is a 12 Volt type.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would have been changed/altered to make this change. eg would it have had a new starter, wiper motor, bulbs etc?
Any info would be great.
Cheers
Cherokee
Attachments
BugpicsJan09002-1.jpg
BugpicsJan09002-1.jpg (112.12 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
scott66bug

6-12 volt

Post by scott66bug »

I have the same car!! although with a left hand drive vs right. Mine too was converted and my undertsanding is as follows

all bulbs would be changed but fixtures would not
Radio would change
Generator and voltage regulator would change
wiper motor would be changed

I believe that is all

Good luck with your bug...i just took mine apart to take it in for paint. if you are curious its posted in the restoration section

cheers

Scott
Cherokee

Post by Cherokee »

Would love to get mine painted. Will need some new panels and so would be off road for some time. At the moment i'm using it as my daily driver (have run company cars for the last 20 years, Chrysler Grand Voyager) so would have to buy another car while my Bugs off the road.

Still not sure my cars seasand, looks lighter to me.

are you in UK with your left hand drive Bug?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It does look lighter than seasand in that photo. It may be that someone picked a different beige color and repainted it but it looks nice either way!
Boris1966

Post by Boris1966 »

My car was also changed to 12 volt.

All the above mentioned things were changed, but recently i also changed the starter motor and flywheel to 12 volt too as is was occasionally letting me down when starting.
Remember if you are sending 12 volts through a 6 volt starter you have to be careful not to turn the key for too long in the ignition as i have been told that it can cause the starter to burn out eventually.
it starts every time now!!

:) x Leane
Cherokee

Post by Cherokee »

Remember if you are sending 12 volts through a 6 volt starter you have to be careful not to turn the key for too long in the ignition as i have been told that it can cause the starter to burn out eventually.
it starts every time now!!

I'll bear the above in mind!!!!!!!!