Ball Joint boots

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

JavaG66

Ball Joint boots

Post by JavaG66 »

While admiring all the grease & rust from the worms eye view on my bug, I noticed that my ball joint seals/boots are shot and barely hanging on. There doesn't seem to be any slop there, but without the seals, I am sure that won't remain the case for very long. I have located some replacement seals, but was wondering how much damage I can do to the steering by just taking the nut loose and pulling the joints out. Is this a lot more involved than it looks?

Thanks!
bill hauck

ball joint boots

Post by bill hauck »

Better to take off the beam, remove the torsion arms and have a qualifed machinist remove and replace the ball joints. Make sure the camber fittings are on correctly. I almost forgot to put them back on!!!!

whatever you do, do NOT take the torision springs out of the beam!!!!! very difficult, dirty job replacing them.

Might be worth replacing the tie rods if the adjustments are frozen.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

You shouldn't need to remove the beam.

I had a local VW shop do the ball joints because they must be pressed into the arms. If you're going to the trouble of replacing the seals, best to just replace all four balljoints and have it ride like new.