Thermostat re-install question

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

JavaG66

Thermostat re-install question

Post by JavaG66 »

Hi,
I have located a thermostat, bracket & rod to put back on my bug and would like some guidance before I lift up the fan housing. I am going to try to hook it back up by just raising the fan housing a couple of inches- can it be done without completely lifting off the fan housing?(engine in car) It may be obvious once I raise the fan housing a little bit, but which direction does the hook on the end of the linkage rod point, front or rear? I wanted as much information as I could get before unbolting everything.

Thanks,
Hal
JavaG66

Post by JavaG66 »

Hello again,
I get to answer this one myself. I found the answer on Rob & Dave's (Most Excelent) Aircooled Volkswagen Pages, but not until after I found out that my flaps did not have the necessary clip to insert the rod into. I raised the fan housing a couple of inches only to see a flap without a clip. It wouldn't have been easy, but I think I could have hooked it all up had the clip been there. I am thinking that I might pull the engine to change to a doghouse style oil cooler, and then will be a good time to replace that missing clip.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Thanks for the info. All I can offer is kudos for electing to reinstall the thermostat.