Possible Overhaul

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

spokaneDave

Possible Overhaul

Post by spokaneDave »

OK, so I just took my non-running 66' in to a local guy who had the parts I needed and the time I didnt have. Through his efforts, my bug is now running! :lol: However, he informed me that I have a whole mess of problems ahead of me. I havent seen the list just yet, but the main issue is he felt as though my cam may need replacing. :( Not the news I wanted to hear and not the news my wife wanted to hear either so you can only imagine how much grief I am getting for buying my bug. I need to figure something out.

My question for you all is this, how much effort is it to give my engine an overhaul? What is the amount of time I should expect? If I replace the cam, what else should I rebuild, replace, or adjust? If anyone has a list of parts I should expect to have to buy, that would give me a great idea of what I can do.

Thanks!
bill hauck

possible overhaul

Post by bill hauck »

Dave: I recently rebuilt a motor myself (first time ever attempted by me) and could offer you the following advise.

Get Rick Higgins Rebuild DVD and watch it. It made the whole process rather simple. The only real tricky thing was getting the distributor gear seated correctly.

If your cam is bad, you could tear apart the block and have the case/cam/crank evaluated by a qualified machinist. If the case/cam/crank are okay, and do not need machining, the bearing sets are pretty cheap. Replacement pistons are also relatively inexpensive Probably a good idea to check the block halves for cracks. ID the block number for the car to determine the vintage. If it is a newer block it might have case savers already installed. If older, this is something you may wish to have a machinst address.

If you have the case/crank/cam checked out, the rest is pretty easy. Have the heads redone by a qualifed machinist, and then move forward.

You will need: a gasket set, probably new pushrod tubes, bearings (cam, crank and rod bearings) , pistons, rear crank seal and a pretty good quality torque wrench.

I have a "running" engine stand but used one of those cheap ($40) engine stands for most of the work.

If the crank/cam/case specs are good, the rest is pretty simple, really, and a lot of fun.

As indicated, I have played with old VWs for years but never attempted an engine rebuild until recently. I have no training and relied on Rick Higgins for assistance and inspiration. It really wasn't too bad. Takes some time and money, but is something you could do yourself.

Have fun doing it!! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. 651-284-5144
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

like Bill says if you have a good case it's rather easy. How did he determine you had a bad cam. Did he adjust the valves and if so they wouldn't stay adjusted?or are the rocker arm studs pulled loose.I've never had a cam break a lobe or wear out as a far as that goes a cam bearing.that's why the ? I've had holes in pistons burnt valves but very seldom ever having to tear into the bottom end. :?: a video yes. Back in 1969 we could pull the motor tear it down and have it ready for the machine shop in 1 1/2 hours. and barring any problems 6 hours tops they were back on the highway.your local machine shop was familar with the engines and were set up to linebore them and all the bearing were in stock. when you take your cam and crank in,take your case with you have them check it for cracks and have the bores checked they.ll also be able to get the right main and cam bearings you need once they grind your crank and check out your cam. parts are still relatively inexpensive. I overhauled a 1500 a few years ago and the machine work and cam and main bearing came a little over $200.00. How much would a 350 chevy cost you?nuff ramblin good luck and have fun ones never to old to learn and heck when you get my age i got to learn all over again.now where the heck did I leave my glasses!!! :oops:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife