Pros and cons of the '66 Beetle.

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Blue Baron

Pros and cons of the '66 Beetle.

Post by Blue Baron »

First of all, there are not many cons.

I always thought the smaller windows on the earlier Beetles looked better (and still do), but that's from outside the car, not inside. From a driver's standpoint, it's much nicer with the big windows. VW did a good job reducing the cave-like aspect of the car by improving the visibility, while making the car look more modern.

The one thing I don't like about the larger windows is the flat sill under the door windows. Water sits on this sill and rusts it out, something the earlier doors never did.

Other great features include the stainless steel door and hood handles instead of chromed pot metal. That was a real classy use of materials for Volkswagen at that time. I also like the improved headlight switch, which can be retrofitted to earlier models. If you want to upgrade your older car's electrics, put in a '66 headlight switch.

I also like the small '66isms, like the dimmer switch in the turn signal stalk and central defroster vent. If your heater is in good shape, that vent really makes a difference. Such a simple solution, you wonder why they didn't think of it sooner.

And one thing my car was missing was the distinctive flasher switch on the dash. It took some looking, but I eventually found a stash of them, including some NOS screw-in faces with perfect paint.

I know these distinctions are mentioned elsewhere on the site, but I thought I'd mention them again, because it's part of what makes a '66 a '66.

My only other complaint is the 4.37:1 transmission with the 1300 engine. It could have used some longer legs to take advantage of the improved torque.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

There are cons to the 66? :shock:

You are right about the 1300 engine - she takes a little coaxing to get going if your on a highway on ramp, but once she is at highway speed she is pretty zippy!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

6V electrics are a big con in my book. Yes, properly maintained your lights can be just as bright as a 12v system, but finding replacement parts is becoming increasingly difficult, and if you want to add any kind of modern conveniences (a GPS, for example), you have to have some way to power that 12v circuit.

Other than that, I more or less love my '66 :)
Rach66

Post by Rach66 »

I sat and read through lots of books and decided a '66 was what I wanted before I bought a Beetle. It has the most upto date improvements, before the cars lost their sloping headlights.

It drove my family mad though when we were having trouble finding a good one. They kept asking if I would be more flexible on the year, as it was narrowing the search considerably, and I was always, no!
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

jmartini wrote:There are cons to the 66? :shock:
Only the sloping headlights ;)

A few other + points... the nice locking backrests on the seats. They are far nicer than the late bug ones :)

Also, balljoint front suspension :D
Ferdykid

Post by Ferdykid »

I spent some time looking out for a flasher switch too - mine is a rhd uk spec, so didn't have one fitted as factory - just wondering what the best position for it would be. Any ideas?
rokemester

What's to love about 66

Post by rokemester »

The classic bumpers and the beautiful headlights with the cool parking lights embedded into the light compartment. Nothing cooler than running around town with parking lights only just before dusk. The car looks so sweet!!
larryho

66 Flasher Switch

Post by larryho »

Ferdykid wrote:I spent some time looking out for a flasher switch too - mine is a rhd uk spec, so didn't have one fitted as factory - just wondering what the best position for it would be. Any ideas?
The 66 Flasher Switch (looks like a red bullet) is certainly becoming scarce. I bought a good piece in Oct 2007 for $50. Now prices fluctuates from $30 to $150 ? Yes saw one in Samba advertised by someone in Canada for this price. :shock: Asked him and he confirmed that the price is correct.
You may still find one at a resonable price. Whatever, do not substitute this switch with another type. This is IT.
Ferdykid

Re: 66 Flasher Switch

Post by Ferdykid »

larryho wrote:
Ferdykid wrote:I spent some time looking out for a flasher switch too - mine is a rhd uk spec, so didn't have one fitted as factory - just wondering what the best position for it would be. Any ideas?
The 66 Flasher Switch (looks like a red bullet) is certainly becoming scarce. I bought a good piece in Oct 2007 for $50. Now prices fluctuates from $30 to $150 ? Yes saw one in Samba advertised by someone in Canada for this price. :shock: Asked him and he confirmed that the price is correct.
You may still find one at a resonable price. Whatever, do not substitute this switch with another type. This is IT.
I managed to get hold of the correct one for a good price in December :lol: Had an interesting time tracking down the right bulb in 12V, but now I have one, I'm just sweating about where to put the hole in the dash.... I think it's going to be beside the ashtray where a lighter could have gone.

From the pics I have seen, below the left corner of the radio plate is the absolute correct place but 1) it should be slight recessed like the headlight and wiper switches, which wouldn't be easily done and 2) it doesn't look nicely symmetrical, just like vw were told to add one anywhere - almost would be better between the two existing switches! It's a big decision to cut an uncut dash!

Maybe I'll do some photoshopping to see what would be best - get a vote going! watch this space!
Ferdykid

Post by Ferdykid »

oh, I forgot to say thanks too.... :oops: Thanks!
larryho

Post by larryho »

Good to hear that you managed to get a piece of this 'beauty'.
The position should be ~ refer to this Samba advertsement ~ 771297.
All the best and enjoy the hobby :wink:
Larry
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

An Optima battery goes a long way toward improving the 6-volt electrics. The '66 VW already has the improved style of headlight switch.

One little trick you can do to improve the 6-volt system is to replace the bolt that holds the battery ground strap to the pan with a longer one, and then bolt another cable from the pan bolt to the lower starter bolt on the transmission. This will improve the ground big time.