Pedal rubbers

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Ferdykid

Pedal rubbers

Post by Ferdykid »

Now this feels like a daft question.... I'm having trouble fitting rubbers to my pedals - the genuine (but brasil) VW rubbers that I've bought have a lip all the way round, but there is no overhang on the bottom of the pedal to fit the lip to. So, have I got the wrong rubber? Can I cut the bottom lip off and it still remain on the pedal? What are the original ones like for a '66?

thanks
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

you have the correct pads...to get the new pads on to the metal flat plate is no easy task....can you email me a picture of your pedal...
Thanks Matt

volksbugusa@optonline.net
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Alot of time I have found that is you heat it up the rubber a little and then bend the flaps open to slip it on that is a little easier
A volksie thanks,
Max
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

hot water, soak em good get em nice and soft,they'll slip right on :wink:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I use the hot water approach too. I usually put a glass of water in the microwave and get it nice and hot, then soak the rubber and apply. It has worked every time.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

yup and then once you got your rubbers on add 1-1/2 shots of brandy,a dab a butter a little honey and life is good!!! :wink: Look out John another clipper headed your way!!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I understand the problem, and I cut a notch in the bottom inside lip of the pedal cover to make them fit properly.

Honestly, most modern pedal replacements are crap. Especially the Taiwanese type that are plastic instead of rubber, and they are universally too small. I've had luck hunting down genuine VW replacements, but it ain't easy...
Ferdykid

Post by Ferdykid »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll let you know how I get on! I've been a bit of magpie collecting shiny new bits and so this weekend is going to be tinker time!