symptoms of sucked valves. (need some help)

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

mypoorv-dub

symptoms of sucked valves. (need some help)

Post by mypoorv-dub »

[/b] HELLO MY NAME IS JOSH I AM FROM CHINO VALLEY AZ AND HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A BEAUTIFUL 1966 V-DUB BUG WITH A 1776CC ENGINE WHICH DOES REALLY WELL. A COUPLE OF WEEKENDS AGO WE WERE DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND ALL WAS WELL UNTILL MY BUG JUST BOGGED OUT AND CAME TO A SLOW STOP AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH I PRESSED ON THE GAS THE BUG JUST WOULDNT GO. AND THE STRANGE THING IS I WAS GETTING FUEL AND SPARK BUT I PUT MY HAND OVER THE AIR CLEANER WHILE MY GIRLFRIEND TRIED TURNING IT OVER AND IT WASNT REALLY SUCKING ANY AIR. I NEED SOME INPUT. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A VALVE PROBLEM MAYBE? :roll:
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I'd suspect that a valve problem would not cause the car to not fire at all, it's just run like dookie on that cylinder. Check the silly simple things first. Is your distributor loose? If it's loose, it could have worked it's way around to the point where the timing's hosed. Could also be vapor lock. Will it run now? Have you tried it since then?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

First, TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK. :D

Before we delve into troubleshooting, have you ruled out any tune-up issues, such as plugs, points, wires, timing and valve adjustment? A lot of words have been written to try and cure problems that could have been settled with a simple tune-up.