Solenoid Problem???

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Dtown66bug

Solenoid Problem???

Post by Dtown66bug »

I am new to this forum but am probably one of the more senior (in ownership years). Bought the her 32 years ago as my first car. It has been garaged and not started for 22 years. I spent the past week or two replacing gaskets, changing oil, cleaning filter, even flushed the gas tank. I tuned the car over with a wrench about 20 times. Did not bind and seemed to have good compression. Well, I tried to start her tonight and did not even get a click. The battery in charged (5.7 volts at the terminals and at the regulator). Does this sound like a solenoid problem? If so, can I test by running a jumper from battery and just “bump” the contacts.
Thanks,
John
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Could even be the switch after that long - I'd start by going through the fuses and checking them then see if you have power at the swtich etc.. You will probably need to work your way down the chain.
Dtown66bug

Post by Dtown66bug »

Thanks John, after finding out where the starter and solenoid are located, I am going to eliminate all problems (fuses, switch, etc) before monkeying with it. If it is the solenoid, how straight forward is it to replace. Please keep in mind that I do not have a lift, just ramps and jack stands.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I don't think you will need a lift to get to the starter, but you will need the back end of the car raised. I'm sure someone else on the forum can tell you if it is a difficult procedure, I've never changed one out. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be a fuse! :)
Dtown66bug

Post by Dtown66bug »

Good news, I tapped on solenoid and starter with a mallet, checked and cleaned all electrical, and it worked perfectly. The car did not start so I am now working through the electrical side. thanks,

John
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good for you - hope you get it running in time for the weekend!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

The good news if you have to replace the starter is that it's 2 nuts and out is comes. You don't have to have the car up (if your gut will fit under), but it helps to have it on ramps or stands.

Sounds like this isn't something you have to worry about now, but if you ever have to do it, simple.
Dtown66bug

Post by Dtown66bug »

Okay, need a little more advice. Starter now turns over but car does not start. Using a tester, very little or no spark to plugs, pretty good spark at lead from bottom of coil to top of distributor. Is there a way to test if it is wire, dist. cap, rotor, or points? The plugs are brand new and I cleaned and reset the points.
John
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I would probably replace points, condensor, cap and rotor just because it has been so long. I'm guessing you think the coil is ok? Did you clean your carb? After 20 years if there was any gas in there it would be like varnish now - and probably won't work.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

See my post about hard starting problems in this thread: http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=448
backdraft100

Starter&solenoid

Post by backdraft100 »

I Have read all posts.But i have question i put a screwdriver across the bolts and made the starter swirl and every thing else is good . should i replace the solenoid only ? or both starter and solenoid? and is it tuff to do?