Battery not charging enough for the starter

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

tapgun

Battery not charging enough for the starter

Post by tapgun »

Hi all,

I am a new member from South Africa. I recently bought my first car 2 weeks ago, and it is a nice 1966 bettle. Im not sure why it wont start but I strongly suspect that the battery is not charging well, because if u push start it, it starts and u can drive it well. the problem is even after a long drive the battery is not charged enough for the starter. I have tried jumpstarting it with a 12 volt battery and it started first time. I have been told by some people to check the belt on the generator, It is a little loose, how tight is it supposed to be?

Please help me as I would like to fix this so that my bettle will be in perfect running condition. Everything is perfect except for a few rust bumps but the car is still original despite that its from a coastal city.

Tapiwa
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It could be the belt, or the generator brushes, or a bad voltage regulator or generator. The belt should be 1/2" - 3/4" deflection. Good luck, make sure you check your generator brushes. I highly recommend the book "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive" by John Muir - it has step be step instructions on how to keep your baby running!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I agree with John on the voltage regulator and brushes, but the fact that it charges while running and the gen light goes completely out would indicate it's probably not a charging problem. It could be a weak 6-volt battery. I would urge you to switch to an Optima 6 volt battery.

Also, check out my post on hard starting at this thread: http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=448