Long time since last post...

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cheryl G

Long time since last post...

Post by Cheryl G »

...but I finally found a shop that I could take my Beetle to and have it "fixed". Our Beetle club "repair" person just would NOT even consider taking a look at my 66 Beetle. Go figure...anyway the guys in the club are deep in rebuilding/refurbing/etc...so "repair" are not considered if the car isn't one of theirs :roll: . Even paying the going rate per hour.

Anyway I just happened to be in Meridian, MS on business a week ago and passed by a shop with all kinds of VW's outside. I just about did a U turn then. This man has been in business along with his daddy since he was a little boy and he appears to me to be in his late 50's .

The problem I was having with the Beetle is shifting into first or second gear. Lots of play in the stick shift. So he says he will replace the bushings (or whatever they are called) and if that works, fine, if not he will check out the trany. My car has a 1776 engine. I also asked him to change out the custom (piece of crap) muffler/tail pipe :roll: for a stock dual exhaust muffler/tail pipes. And check the brake lights.

He said he will check it from head to toe. He said their isn't anything he can't fix. His shop is fantastic, all stages of refurbishing/renovating/sooping up/Karmin's/Beetle's ...and he loves his work.

I drove the Beetle 150 miles across the state and drove home the Suburban with a new 29 foot travel trailer behind (hubby was tired). Man what a difference.

Can we plug a shop here? If so the man is Rick Hasselle at Hasselle Enterprises in Marion, MS just barely north of Meridian, MS old Hwy 45 north. If not, please remove this paragraph.

Cheryl
Cheryl G

Post by Cheryl G »

Seems I was informed I wasn't running on all cylinders :lol: 8) :shock: . So what is new.

Anyway burnt valve (geez I hope I am using the right terminology!) Not sheared off.

He repaired the shifting problem, bushings. I left 5 seat belts in the car and he will install them, 3 in the rear, replace the muffler with a "real" one, hook up the heater hoses, repair the brake lights, adjust the brake pedal...for $1,200.00.

I told him okay..but couldn't afford to go above that.

Considering we haven't learned how to do these things ourselves...that is a pretty good deal to me.

Now what can I expect him to tell me would be a reasonable schedule to let him do a checkup on her from time to time. 1966 Beetle with a 1776 engine. He told me I had a really good little car but when he does all the repairs I will have a "sweet" little car and will think I am driving a new car.

:D
bill hauck

Post by bill hauck »

Did you say the $1200 include an engine rebuild?? if not, you probably paid too much for the work done.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hard to say, depends on what hours are behind all those fixes (electrical can be a pain). Sounds like some engine work is being done as well as electrical.
Cheryl G

Post by Cheryl G »

That is for everything, yes engine too.

I need to know what to expect to have him tell me when I ask how often I need to run the Beetle to him for a once over, etc...