How hard is it to replace the tranny?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bluehair

How hard is it to replace the tranny?

Post by bluehair »

I just bought a '66 that has been converted to 12 volt. The tranny pops out of reverse so I bought a rebuilt swing axle 12 volt tranny. Now, do I waiit for the Bug Me video to get here and do it myself or do I take it to a mechanic and have the work done for me? How long does it take to remove the old, switch the parts and install the new?
volksbugusa

You can do it

Post by volksbugusa »

bluehair
all of the facts are based on the change of fly wheel to a 12 volt! and the starter has been chnged to a 12 volt with the bushing.

I would say for a first time 3 solid days. It is best that you also change the following parts as well
-clutch
-pressure plate
-throw out bearing
-possible rear main seal behind the flywheel.(you will know ) make sure you put back the same shims! You will need a seal puller go real easy you do not want to scrape that seal surface.

-shaft boots if need be.
i can tell you that you will be able to do the job your self.The transmission bug me video 100 % is prefect. to have some one do the job will be over $1000.00 plus...parts..and if this person is not a vw person forget it

also take a look at this repair on the shift rod bushing and rear coupler
VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... nkid=link2

any question email me at
mdazzo@optonline.net

matt
volksbugusa
Last edited by volksbugusa on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

http://www.sixdaemonbag.com/bug/1966/transmission.html

That was my first swingaxle swap. Matt's dead-on about it taking 3 days the first time. Plan on being very dirty and making your work area very dirty as well. You can do it by yourself (though I'd suggest having a couple buddies around to help with reinstalling the engine if you can.) Just take your time and don't rush.

Here's a parts list:
* New trans:
* New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clips
* Rear main seal (even if you don't need it, get one, you will eventually)
* Front and rear transmission mounts (if needed, odds are that unless you've done them in the last couple years, you need them)
* Axle boots. Get the good German ones. Don't even bother with anything else
* Gear Oil. new trans won't come filled.
* Trans seal kit. You'll need the paper gaskets to set the right play.
* Plastic daisies from the old transmission, or replacements (if you can find them)
* Shift coupler.
* Shift rod bushing
* Wheel seal kits, one per wheel (get some spares, this is where I screwed up)
* Rear wheel bearings (if needed. See above about trans mounts)
* Rear Drums, shoes, etc (if you haven't done brakes recently. Now's the perfect time)
* Brake lines? I'd spend for the steel braided and replace yours unless they're brand new
* How's that fuel line from the tunnel to the fuel pump look? If it's questionable, replace.
* fuel filter? Is it under the car or in the engine bay? If the latter, MOVE IT, Now's the perfect time
* Shocks? Need them?

Essentially, anything that needs to be maintained out back should be planned for this swap. You're going to have the whole back end off the car anyway so might as well take advantage.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Also, if you are replacing the axles, tubes and all, with your rebuilt transaxle, make sure thet are the right length!! Up to '66, used pretty much the same length. What is commonly known as a "short" axle. Then in '67 was a one year only "mid" length, then in '68, the last year (in the states anyways) was the longest.

Off hand, I'm not sure of each length...but, I could dig through my notes if needed.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB