Headlight: high/low beam switch

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

VWPOMO1

Headlight: high/low beam switch

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Hi all,

Okay, the 66' is finally in the garage !!! I'm loving it and I've got lots of questions too. Hopefully, you all won't mind.

Okay, question #1 - Headlight: high/low beam switch ... is it supposed to be located on the floor near the clutch ? Everytime I shift, I'm hitting the highbeams ?

B.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi B.: Gee - the 66 should have the high beam/low beam on the turnsignal indicator. I wonder if someone moved it down to the floor? Check your turnsignal arm and see if there is a button on the back of it for turning on and off the high beams - there shoud be. If not, let me know and if you want to send me your Vin# I can see if it falls before the move to the signals took place.

PS - No one will mind the questions - keep them coming! :)
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Mine is on the left side of my wheel.The PO's could have burned the wheel switch out or changed steering wheels.and moved it to the floor.my 62 dimmer switch was in the far forward corner left.When I wanted to use it I had to almost go looking for it. There easy enough to move if it's in your way.You might have a early 66 that was built in aug of 65.John's right check the numbers. :D
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Hey John,

The turn signal switch is very, very basic - only having the signal arm on the steering shaft.

VIN: 116389402

Let me know what you find out. The high/low on the floor, looks anyway - like it should be there. I can't figure out how to post pics - if I could I'd post one of it.

B.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

HI B: Thanks for the VIN number - I'll look when I get home tonight and see where that falls in the list of changes for 66. FYI - Sorry about not being able to post pictures in the forum - there is a mod for it but I haven't figured it out yet. In the meantime you can always post in the Photo Gallery - you just need to register first if you haven't already done so.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

OK - Here's the news - the dimmer was moved to the turn signal switch right away in August of 1965 (Beginning of the 1966 model year) with the first 66 bug Vin # 116 000 001, therefore I have to agree with Scruffy that someone may have moved it down to the floor after replacing the turn signal arm. Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear. Additional fun fact - your car was made in late 1965 (still a 66 of course) based on the vin number.
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Gee, I'm going to move it a bit away from the clutch and when I replace the wheel - I will replace it switch as well.

But, thanks for the info - excellent !!!

Bryan
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

BTW, where do you check the VIN's ?

B.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I have a couple different books that I look in that tell me when changes took place by Vin# of that year. For example - starting with
Vin# 116 240 000 (October of 1965, but 66 model year) VW introduced a longer pump connecting rod to their Solex PICT-1 Carb.
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Thanks again John !!!!!!!!!!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No problem - anytime B.!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:D I checked my vin and mine is 1165637273 built in early 66.My references show the dimmer switch wasn't moved to the wheel til jan 66 where mine is at. A little more info, The ignition switch was dash mounted thru 67.68 they came out with the switch in the steering wheel lock.one more thing the center vent in the middle of the dash was introduced in 66.Have Fun :P
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Thanks Scruffy: I went back and checked my books to make sure I was correct in what they listed. Both books list the changes as August of 65 with the first vin number produced for the 66 model year. I suppose they could be wrong which would explain the dimmer on the floor - not sure. You are right about the vent too - I have tried to capture most of the changes on the "1966 model changes" page on the main site, but I think I may have missed a few - the half circle horn ring came back in 1966, and a larger rear view mirror too. I'll do an update to that page soon so if you see anything missing on there you'd like me to call out let me know!

Hey! My bug was manufactured on January 12th of 66, not much earlier than yours - vin# 116513583

Hope your staying warm up there! :)
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:D COOL, which factory?I'll have to go scratch some paint off my plate to look. :lol: 20 degrees today,I might go run NAKED :lol:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Wolfsburg! It was then imported to the state of Washington and shipped to California and sold from a dealership called Spartan VW. I still have the black Cali Plates and Liscense plate bracket with the Dealership Name on it! :D

Wow - 20 degrees - well thats an improvement - but you still might get a few looks if you take off running naked in the streets!