horn is not working

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

backdraft100

horn is not working

Post by backdraft100 »

hello all

Just quick question my horn will not sound off . i checked wires and all looks good. the question i do i need a 6v or 12 v ? all any replies welcome.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Backdraft! If your car is still 6 volt then you need a 6 volt horn. If your car has been converted to 12 volt then you will need a 12 volt horn. Even if your wires are good you may have a bad horn. Horn wiring on the beetles is one of the 7 wonders of the world - can be very tricky and hard to troubleshoot. There are a few folks on the forum that have been through this so I'm sure they will jump in with some help! Good luck! John
exprof

Post by exprof »

My suggestion:

First, check the horn fuse. The horn fuse is the first fuse on the left as you look at the fuse box from the driver's seat. This fuse also governs the lights and wipers. If they're working, that's probably not the problem, but you want to eliminate all the possibilities.

The horn has no polarity so either terminal will accept the positive or negative wire. Have a helper hold the horn button down while you check for voltage at the horn itself. First check the terminal that has the black wire with a yellow stripe, this is the positive (hot) wire. If your test light doesn't illuminate, trace this wire back to its source, the fuse box. Check both sides of the fuse with the test light. Current is supplied directly from the battery to this point so you should find voltage on both sides of the fuse.

Move back to the horn. While your helper holds the horn button down, attach your test light alligator clip to the black/yellow wire while pressing the ice pick end onto the brown wire. If your test light illuminates, this suggests that the horn is at fault. If it doesn't, the wire leading from the horn through the button to ground (the brown wire) is faulty.

If you don't have a test light, you can simply disconnect the brown wire, connect a wire to the second horn terminal and touch the other end of that wire to bare metal under the car while your helper holds the horn button down. If the horn sounds, the brown (ground) wire is loose or broken at some point. Aside from the horn itself being faulty, the most common source of horn-related headaches is a faulty ground wire.

Hope this helps...
Attachments
horn circuit.gif
horn circuit.gif (7.02 KiB) Viewed 26631 times
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Ex Prof, Have you traded your bug for a boat yet? hope your high and dry down there! But bugs float don"t they! :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
exprof

Post by exprof »

scruffy wrote:Ex Prof, Have you traded your bug for a boat yet? hope your high and dry down there! But bugs float don"t they! :lol:

I'm o.k.; our house is on high ground. The only real trouble I'm having so far is figuring out which route to take to work because of the road closings.

Thanks for asking... :)
dpalmberg

Post by dpalmberg »

Where is the horn actually at? Mine won't work either. I'm new to Bugs and see from the diagram the wiring goes down the steering column, but I can't see where the horn itself is in case I need to replace it. Tks for any insight you have.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

The horn should be under the drivers side front fender - take a look there you should find it - if not go to the other side and there check too!
backdraft100

thanks

Post by backdraft100 »

Yes i checked all but putting new horn on i do have a 6v system so i guess ill buy new horn any ideas were to get 6v Pep boys?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I found on mine, take off the horn ring and clean every contact surface on that... might help
A volksie thanks,
Max
dpalmberg

Post by dpalmberg »

How do you go about taking off the horn ring? I bought a new horn, and it won't work either. Not a fuse problem since the windshield wipers, etc works. B/4 I get into wiring, I'd like to check the contacts as you suggest. Is there an easy way to get the horn ring off?
dpalmberg

Post by dpalmberg »

Just wanted to follow up on an earlier post. Curious if someone can tell me how to get the horn part of the steering column off. I've got a horn that is not working and I want to see if it has to do with the contact points on the steering wheel. Thanks for any input!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

f you're meaning the horn ring, I've always had pretty good luck with a screwdriver. Gently pop the center cap off, and then you can unscrew the ring. The screws are spring loaded, so don't lose any of the parts. :)
dpalmberg

Post by dpalmberg »

Thanks for the info! I know it's a remedial question, but I was afraid of pulling on the wrong thing and breaking the horn ring. I'll get on it this weekend.
JBug

Post by JBug »

I wonder if anyone can help?

My horn is not working.

At the steering wheel (using a volt meter) i am getting 14v between the wire and the nut on the steering column. I assume therefore

1. All the electrics are Ok
2. As the colt meter completes the circuit and there is still no sound - the horn itself is dead

Is this correct???

(BTW the bug is now 12v converted)

Thank you in advance

Jon