wiper switch

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

exprof

wiper switch

Post by exprof »

I had to replace my wiper switch, but the only one that I could get was a for a '67. Unlike the '66, the '67 has two speed wipers.

The switch didn't come with a wiring diagram. After trying to wire the switch myself, I took the car to my mechanic. He got the switch to work, but it activates the wipers at the second switch position, and when I turn the wipers off, they don't "park" as they should but stop at the uppermost point of their travel unless I activate the switch when the wipers are on their way down.

How do I wire the two speed wiper switch to park the wipers when I turn the them off? If there is no way to do that, is there somewhere that I can get a switch for single speed wipers?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Here's a place you can get the single speed switch:

http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsLi ... 113955517C
exprof

Post by exprof »

Thanks!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Here's another - I noticed wolfsburg is temporarily out of stock

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/1958-67 ... r-737.html
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

exprof...

You should be able to use the '67 switch...before I had a 2sp 12v '67 wiper motor, I too and did indeed use a '67 switch...the way I did it was converged the two years schematically and lighted out the '67 switch to figure out what terminal did what...and this is what I came up with...

If you can read the terminal numbers one the '67 switch the wiring would be as follows...

terminal 30--receives POWER from the fuse block
terminal 53b--gets NO connection (it would go to the HIGH speed of the '67 wiper motor)
terminal 53--use the original BLACK w/PURPLE stripe, it would then go to terminal 54d, ("d" as in dog) on the original wiper motor
terminal 53a--use the original solid BLACK wire from the "original" switch terminal 54 and this wire goes to terminal 54 on the original wiper motor
terminal 31b--("b" as in boy, look close as they are small :shock: ) use the original BROWN wire and connect it to the 31b terminal on the original wiper motor
terminal 31--this terminal I made up a New wire and connected it to chassis ground as this it the way it would be on the '67.

I hope this works for you, and "passes the SMOKE TEST" :cry: if it still dosent want to "park" then possibly prior fingers might have broken the pin and or micro like switch in the wiper motor which rides on a cam inside. I did run into that sometime back, early in my "Dubbin" years :D

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
exprof

Post by exprof »

Thanks, Brian!

I'll give this a try.

I have one question, though:

Where did you ground the wire going from terminal 31 to ground?
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

exprof...

I ran a wire (from an old harness to match the rest of the patina) from the terminal to the support bar at the wiper motor mount...hidden :o

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
exprof

Post by exprof »

Good idea; I think I'll do the same. Thanks again.
exprof

Post by exprof »

Brian,

I rewired my switch this morning using your instructions. It works like a charm.

I found, though, that the guy that I had install the switch apparently removed the brown wire from the motor terminal 31b, so it was necessary to fabricate two wires: that one and the one from terminal 31 to ground.

If we didn't live so far apart, I'd buy you a beer. :wink:

Thanks again,

Exprof