Carb solex

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bajadave66

Carb solex

Post by bajadave66 »

I have a solex 31PICI and noticed that the little brass color doohicky on the left said 12V and I do have a wire connected to it. The only thing wrong here is that my system is 6Vs, could this be my idle and stalling problems when I shut him down and start up again after a very short off period? Once I get going, it;s okay. Or is it just generic for all systems.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The pict31 is that the replacement for the pict 30 & 34? if it is that would have a 12volt heating element and appling 6volts to it will probaly take awhile to do anything or at all.the Pict 28's were 6volt elements and i'm still looking for one if anyone knows where I can find one
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I just reread your post. unplug your wire,tape it up.loosenyour choke and back your spring off so you have no tension on your butterfly.You might have to give her a little more gas to start but once warmed up she should run fine,until you come up with a 6volt choke or manual. My chokes wired open,been that way for 3years works good. :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

Thank you! I was going over the carb when I noticed that. So is there a after market sensor or do I go to my local parts store to see if they carry sensor for the solex. Can I order one from a VW parts store online? I need this to be wife friendly when she drives him. Maybe like pump the gas four times and then turn key thing if I remove the wire?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I haven't come across a 6volt element to fit my 28 maybe obsoletemotors or wolfsburg might have one for yours. mine is like 1 1/4"in dia. when it's warm out 2or 3 pumps,when cold if you have been driving it try starting it without pumping it.little critters flood easy.drive it awhile you'll get the hang of it
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Wait... left side? Brass cylinder? at the base of the carb? That'd be an idle cutoff solenoid, not choke. Choke's on the right and at the top... Not sure they make a 6v idle solenoid, but it'll need to be figured out to get the car running correctly if that's what you're talking about.
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

Yeap! That's what i'm talking about! There's some people from other sites that say that I should cut the plunger inside the solenoid so it wouldn't funtion but I still have the choke element to worry about because I'm guesssing it's 12V too!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I missed the left side part,sorry about that.This switch stops runon after you shut off the car[deiseling]with the power on pull the wire off and it should click,I don't know if it will with 6 volt :?
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I've had people tell me to cut the plunger too. I've never had to do it but it's not going to run any worse if you do :) It's about 20 bucks to replace that puppy, so if you do cut it you won't be out a ton of green to fix. I don't think they made a 6v solenoid so you're probably going to have to hack it up.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Just disconnect it
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I think if it's disconnected though it's in the engaged position, which means it'll cut the fuel off at idle. This seems to be the main problem with them when they fail. That's why cutting the plunger works.
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

I just left it alone....................... It's a pain in the butt, .......but after about a mile or so....it's okay............. It just needs to get it hot and then it's perfect............The first 2 or 3 stop lights I'm doing the Ali shuffle. :wink: