Clutch cable -

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

RobM

Clutch cable -

Post by RobM »

And another episode in the on-going saga . . . .

Okay, the clutch cable went 'ping' again. It's only about 5 months old and I've been having to tighten it every couple of weeks. The hook on the clutch pedal went a couple months after the cable initially did. That was a quick $10. part(plus 1 hr labor).

This time, when the clutch cable went, I have enough experience dealing with this car to not be backward about working on it myself. Pulled out the old one--a frayed mess--the new one slid easily all the way through to the flexible tail-piece (the 'Boden tube' someone told me at work) then stopped--hard.

The first thing I noticed when I pulled the old cable was how nice and clean it was . . . meaning the mechanic didn't grease it when it was installed. The next was that the stirrup at the hook end was allmost worn through by the hook.

- Previously broken hook, two broken cables, worn strrup, no grease . . .
:evil:

I can't even push the screw tip of the clutch cable through the tail-piece when its not in the car. It's ends are deformed so badly I'm lucky to get a coat hanger through it.

Whereas Muir's book suggests 3/4 " slack dip(add washers if needed) this was more like 1.5" and I guess it just kinked the heck out of the fittings on the ends.

Anyway, so now I know what's been adding so much drag on those cables and eating everything up.

Parts store is closed tonight. I'll be down there 08:00 tomorrow.

The good thing about having someone else repair your car is, you don't have to do it. The bad thing is, you don't know if they isolated out the problem or just tossed in a new part --to break again.
bill hauck

clutch cable

Post by bill hauck »

Might also be a crack in the tube. Mine was broken right under the rear seat. left a jagged edge.
RobM

Re: clutch cable

Post by RobM »

bill hauck wrote:Might also be a crack in the tube. Mine was broken right under the rear seat. left a jagged edge.

- Thanks Bill

- A friend at work warned me that he'd had one like that. It had 'worn a groove' into the tube and required some repair work. I didn't feel anything wrong up there--can't see it, of course.

- I just replaced the tail-piece under there and the cable seems to zip right on through it. The new one (Brazillian made) seems to be all plastic/composit of some type compaired to the one that was in there which had metal ends. The metal ends were deformed and had crushed the tube so I couldn't push the screw-tip of the clutch cable on through at all.

Picked up the part and replaced it already this morning. An easy enough job when you have the part. Everything seems to be okay now. I just have to dry off before doing the final hook-up. (Yestarday it was 105 out, today it's 63 and raining . . . Welcome to southern Oregon!)
:lol:
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

So, just to clarify, you replaced the bowden tube because it was all smashed up, correct? You have the correct 3/4" of sag in it?
RobM

Post by RobM »

fatalifeaten wrote:So, just to clarify, you replaced the bowden tube because it was all smashed up, correct? You have the correct 3/4" of sag in it?

- Yep, couldn't even ram the threaded end of a clutch cable through the Bowden tube while holding it in my hand much less at the end of 6' of clutch tube.

- There was actually more than 3/4 in of sag in it. (That could've made the problem worse. Dragging the cable through a dry 'S' would add friction.) I removed one of the washers to get it closer to suggested 'sag'. I think it's still just a little more but its closer and I don't want to tear up the new tube by wrenching it in & out any more than I have to. (The aft end keeper seems to be part of the transaxle casing so I have to kink the tube to get it in or out.)

- I just took it for a drive and it's shifting smoothly. (It should be smooth I rammed plenty of grease through the tubes as I went along.)
RobM

Post by RobM »

RobM wrote:
- I just took it for a drive and it's shifting smoothly. (It should be smooth I rammed plenty of grease through the tubes as I went along.)

- Just an update--now that it's been in daily use all week--she's shifting better than she ever has since I've owned her. Functioning perfectly, I'd say.
:D - So I'll just figure to replace the Bowden tube when I replace the cable next time and bypass any possible problem in the future.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I've had to replace one bowden tube in all the years I've worked on my own vw's. Unless you have something seriously crazy going on this should last yoiu for a very long time :)