Howdy!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
pira114

Howdy!

Post by pira114 »

Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself. This is probably the first time I've used the introduction part of a forum.

I just picked up a '66 with the origional 1300 and 6 volt system. Far as I can tell so far it's completely stock except for the two front seats. Still low back, but they're different from each other. It's not in the best cosmetic shape, but runs almost perfect. Got the sunroof, and it actually works right and seals up good.

This is not my first bug. In fact, my very first car was a '66. But that one had been converted to a baja and "upgraded" to a 1776. It was fun though. And it was painted camoflauge! Back when you're a teen, that's about the only way to look cool to your friends in one of these. At least that's what I thought back then.

Well, 20 something years later, I got my second bug. My origional thought was to get a gas saver car. Then that led me to thinking an older car so I didn't have to smog it. Then, that led me to something easier and a little more economical to work on. Then, somehow, that led to the idea of quasi restoring a bug. So much for economical, but I'm happy my journey took the route it did. I've been driving it for a couple of weeks now and was amazed to find that I still loved driving this type of car. I was worried that after driving big powerful Chevy trucks, I would miss the power and speed. Not true. I find that I'm much more relaxed now that I'm just cruising along at 55 while everyone else seems to be stressed out about getting one more car length ahead in their grind to work. I've re-discovered the key to life!

Anyway, I'm off to the technical section for my first question. Like I said, it runs "almost" perfect!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Welcome.

Pics!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great story! You and I have something in common - our first cars were 66 beetles. It's hard to get that first car out of your mind, isn't it?