My "New" 1966 Pearl VW - My Dream Car

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
MissHilda

My "New" 1966 Pearl VW - My Dream Car

Post by MissHilda »

Dear VW Folks:

I'm very excited to show you a pic or two of my ultimate car! I've been dreaming about buying this car, from the original owner, for about 6 years!

The orginal owner, Mrs. Garman, is 95 and her son doesn't want her to drive a stick shift anymore. As you can see, Mrs. Garman is too cute for words. Please don't feel sorry for Mrs. Garman as she now happily drives a brand-new white Jetta!

I finally have my dream car! After a few sleepless nights, I've decided to name her Miss Hilda.

Miss Hilda was always kept in a heated garage. There is no rust or damage and it has the original engine. (1300) Miss Hilda was undercoated. The only thing that is not original is the sunvisor, which I'm not that crazy about, tires, and the running boards that were replaced. And the bumpers were "re-chromed" a few years ago. Oh, and the window rubber gaskets were replaced & a bit of the carpeting was replaced, but it still matches the original dark red carpeting.

(I'm considering taking off the sunvisor. But perhaps someone on this forum could give me some advice, before I proceed.)

I have all the orignal papers (owners manual, service records, etc.).

My only concern is that I have to get it inspected next week and some buzz-kills in my office are warning me that I'll have to install seat belts. (I plan to put a regular license on my car, not classic or antique tags, because I want to drive my new car regularly.) Miss Hilda never had seat belts before, so I'm confused as to why I should need them now.

I plan to take Miss Hilda to a reliable, local mechanic who specializes in VW repair & inspection.

If anyone has advice about whether a 1966 VW (Pennsylvania) would need seat belts after all these years, I'd love to hear from them!

It's a very sweet car. And I hope you enjoy viewing!
Attachments
Interior Shot
Interior Shot
Interior Shot - 4.JPG (33.58 KiB) Viewed 21488 times
Me Enjoying Miss Hilda
Me Enjoying Miss Hilda
ME & MISS HILDA - 4.JPG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 21488 times
Me & The Original Owner
Me & The Original Owner
MRS. GARMAN & ME - 4.JPG (29.26 KiB) Viewed 21488 times
Last edited by MissHilda on Sun May 11, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi MissHilda and welcome to the forum!!! Sounds like you found a great Beetle. Not many are still as origial as MissHilda!
For some reason the pictures are not attached so you may want to try again! I'm sure everyone would like to see them!
Last edited by jmartini on Sun May 11, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
couion

Post by couion »

What a jewel. I say keep the visor.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Gee what a beautiful car - what a great and lucky find! I'd probably keep the visor on as well! She sure is a beaut!
RobM

Post by RobM »

Sweeeet! I wouldn't bother removing the sunshade.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Oh by all means keep the sunshade! I also like the chrome eyebrows.

To me, owning a car in original condition is far superior to a restoration any day. Good job locating such a jewel.
'66 Type I
exprof

Post by exprof »

Beautiful car!

That's quite a find; I hope my Pearl White '66 looks half as nice once I've finished it.

Welcome to the forum!
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

MissHilda!

Welcome to the forum!! and Beautiful car!!!

I too live in Pa, 'bout 10 miles south of York!!

I didnt have any problem getting my '57 Ragtop inspected. But, Did you ever think about getting antique tags? Thats what I'm putting on "Ferguson"...the '57...long story :shock: when I get the transaxle back in...previously, I got it inspected because I didn't like the "new" antique tags till I saw one with a picture of the owners car on it!!! not the model A, and thought it looked so kewl!! I talked to the owner and he said everyone in his "street-rod" club was doing it and that the feds had no problem with it as long as it didnt cover the numbers!!

Antique tags require no inspection and no yearly registration!!!

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I love the visor, had one on a 50 ford one time,blocks the sun glare.Nice car!In Mn. we run collector plates,one time 25bucks and nomore registration.Drive anywhere :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
valee

Post by valee »

if you still need seat belts take a look here: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_ ... t_belt.cfm

My 66 white beetle, Perlutza, got for Christmas a 3 point red pair. It was very useful recently when we went in RoVWij Beetele Meeting.
In Europe seat belts are mandatory.
Pictures with the seat belts here:
http://www.aircooled.ro/fol474739/event ... _0883.JPG/

I almost forgot: gorgeous car, you lucky one!!!!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

What a gorgeous L87 '66. I love the original red interior. I think '66 had the most comfortable stock seats of all.

I'd ditch the visor. It's looks like fiberglass '80s stuff.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I had a pearl white 65 with a sunroof! Your car brings back fond memories. Beautiful find!!
JDRayner

This Makes Two of Us!

Post by JDRayner »

Congratulations on such a great find. I know from experience, as I became the owner of a 1966 VW Beetle, pearl white with red (pigalle) interior in February 2009. You are way ahead of me with the incomparable experience of knowing the owner, and having the original documentation. What a great story... one that you will enjoy for ever. Your Miss Hilda is wonderful.

I picked up my car on Valentines Day 2009, so we named her "Schotzi", which is german slang for "sweetheart". She is mostly original, and a real head turner. I have her registered as Antique, also in the southeast part of PA, Media Pennsylvania. So... have fun and ENJOY!

JDRayner
Cherokee

Post by Cherokee »

What a lovely looking genuine car, a brilliant find. Love the interior.

Enjoy driving your Beetle!

Cherokee
Roadbug

Miss Hilda

Post by Roadbug »

Miss Hilda is the twin to our "Roadbug". Both are Export models in Pearl Weiss with red interiors. Ours came with seat belts but I don't know if they were added at Jacksonville (Port of Entry) or not.
Our's too beloned to a little old lady from 1966 to 1990 when she went to a nursing home and I bought it. Unfortunatly she hit the supports of her carport and I had to repair the fenders. Otherwise, it's as she left it, complete with a dash plaque from a VW Rally in 1967 glued oto the dasboard.
A lot of VW injuries in accidents were cause by occupants being ejected in the accident. I never drive anywhere without my belt being fastened.
Unrestored cars are always a hit anywhere, enjoy it and the sun visor.
Roadbug