synthetic oil

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bajaaaron66

synthetic oil

Post by bajaaaron66 »

I want to know if synthetic oil would be ok in my 1966 bug, i was at a car club meeting for 350 z nissan club of florida and they had a demonstration on royal purple synthetic motor oil and its tempeture in the 350z was 60 degrees cooler then conventional oil, anybody know! :twisted: thanks Bajaaron66
couion

Post by couion »

Synthetic oils have come a long way in recent years. I am an automotive instructor and have no problems running synthetic oils. They will out perform any petroleum oil available. The biggest hurdle is pricing. If you do not mind the cost difference of running a synthetic than I say do it. However using a conventional lubricant and replacing it regularly will protect your engine just fine. The synthetic oil of choice for me is Mobil 1 V-Twin oil. many studies have been done and it out performs any other brand particularly in air cooled engines which run at higher tempratures than liquid cooled.
bajaaaron66

synthetic oil

Post by bajaaaron66 »

Couion, thankyou for the insight, i have some motor work to be done so i am going to experiment with royal purple and mobil1 v-twin and see for myself wich is better, thankyou again......Bajaaaron66 :twisted:
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

never never use Synthetic oil in a bug read up on some of my posts
i would suggest lucas as part of your mix.
cheers
couion

Post by couion »

I suggest you conduct a little more research. Who knows it might even change volksbugusa's opinion.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

oh boy
nothing better
read up http://www.bradpennracing.com/ and mix with lucas oil stabilizer
Type of oil: air-cooled engines are also oil-cooled and some oil brands are better than others at picking up heat in the engine and shedding it in the oil cooler. A credible source (Ed Hackett) told me that synthetics are better in that regard, although some list members did not share that belief based on their personal experience. Matthew Chapman writes: "Never Use Synthetic Oil in an air-cooled motor. The oil temp goes down but head temp goes up. Synthetic oil rejects heat. The air-cooled engine is air and oil cooled. if the oil rejects the heat heads will not cool properly. This was tested and proved by gene berg ent. in orange ca

volksbugusa
couion

Post by couion »

volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

to each there own. just keep the oil clean :)

cheers
couion

Post by couion »

Agreed!!!
bajaaaron66

synthetic oil

Post by bajaaaron66 »

thanks everyone for your opinions, i spoke with a friend at fisher buggies and he said dont run synthetic, oil temp goes down and head temp way up , thanks guys, Aaron :twisted:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

back in the old days it was easier - everyone just swore that valvoline was the best thing to put in your VW Beetle :wink: