Front Parking lights??

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

thd566

Front Parking lights??

Post by thd566 »

Hello, I am tracking down electrical "bugs" :lol: on my 66 beetle. I worked some of them out. When I pull the headlight switch out one click both the front park lights come on and both tail lights come on. When I pull it out both clicks the headlights come on the tail lights come on but the front park lights turn off. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks,
Chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Chris: Someone may beat me with the answer because to be really sure I would have to run over to storage and check. Someone else prbably has their car in their garage and will give you the answer faster. Let me tell you what the owners manual states in the meantime:

The Lights are switched on with the left and pull switch. When pulled out to the first stop - the parking lights, the rear lights, and the license plate light are switched on. To switch the headlights on, pull the switch out to the second stop.
bill hauck

parking light

Post by bill hauck »

I was checking my parking lights last night and when I pulled the switch, the left side did not work. I "thumped" the headlight bucket and the parking light went on, and then promptly fried the wire.

Any idea what would cause this to happen?? I have had them hooked up for months and never had a problem like this before.

Bad ground?? short?? bad switch??

good thing it didn't start a fire!!!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Sounds like it could be a short to me. Are any of your fuses hard wired? Better check and make sure only fuses are in the fuse block ... no paperclips or bullets! Yikes!
'66 Type I
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Right - Certainly sounds like a short to me! Now can anyone answer the first question - Do the parking lights go off or stay on when the lights are turned on? I can answer it but it will take me a while to get over and check mine so hopefully you guys know the answer. Thanks. John
bill hauck

parking lights

Post by bill hauck »

was a short, I believe. fried the wire from an apparently poor splice up to the headlight switch. replaced the whole wire with 14 awg wire and seems to work now. Will keep the battery disconnected until I can spend some time with it to make sure.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good - Glad to hear you have tracked the problem down! Electical problems are terrible sometimes!

Now can anyone help Chris with his question?
bill hauck

parking lights

Post by bill hauck »

on my 66, the parking lights come on with one click and then go out when the headlights are turned on (second click). Sounds like yours are working properly.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

when it come to problems with the wiring harness it is always best to completely remove and install new...the 1966 system is soooo simple.
why struggle with problems...when you start finding wires with green mold and dark brown contacts....clean it all up...just my two cents been there and done that sooo many times....install new ..nothing like it...yes it is expensive but the best 300.00 spent...
cheers
volksbugusa,,,,,
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I just went through a similar problem on a 1971 motorcycle I was rebuilding. The wires were so discolored that they looked black, but they were dark green - I don't need to tell you what kind of problems that can cause :roll: . I bought a new harness for the bike (199.00) but this was a feeder from a different area than the main harness. Matt is right, if your wires are discolored or moldy it's just best to start over.
thd566

Post by thd566 »

Thanks for the help. I plan on changing the wire harness later this summer. I hope it is easy, never done anything like that before.

Chris
jack01

Front Turn Signals

Post by jack01 »

I just had some electrical work done on my 66 1300. I'm probably losing my mind, but can someone answer this for me: Are the front directionals supposed to light (not as a turn signal, just light up) when you turn the lights on, AND function as directionals?? I can't remember what they did before I had the work done. They work fine as turn signals, but i can't remember if they're suposed to light up when you turn the headlights on. The parking lights for the front are in front of the headlight, right??
Thanks
Jack
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Jack: no, they should only be on when they are flashing. Yes, the little bulbs in front of the headlight are the parking lights.
jack01

Post by jack01 »

Thanks, John...that's good news, I thought I was having a "senior moment"!!!
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Man.. That would be cool to have them light up with the lights. :D
A volksie thanks,
Max