Seats

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

CJ'S VDUB

Seats

Post by CJ'S VDUB »

Hello again,
my new question is I have a 66 beetle the interior consists of a drivers seat. I am having trouble finding seats locally. obviously I can get the carpets and such from catalogs. there is a 72 super beetle for sale locally for short cash as the owner only bought it for the powertrain anyway he says the interior is complete does anyone know if the seats etc. will fit before I bother buying it
bill hauck

seats

Post by bill hauck »

the seats from the new beetle should fit. I bought my 66 and it had newer high back seat in it when I got it. I gave them away and found some low backs locally. They are expensive to ship so local is the way to go if possible.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

70-72 had some funky seats though, and the standards and supers are different.

Can you borrow one and see if it'll fit?

Honestly I loathe highbacks. I'd rather find a set of junk yard lowbacks and rebuild them.
bill hauck

seats

Post by bill hauck »

I agree about the high backs. rebuiliding the seat is a pretty simple job. Get the DVDs from Cal. Pacific/JBugs and they walk you right through the steps. I just did mine and they look great!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

When I got my first 66 in 1975, some guys from California had tried to put some high back VW seats in there - guess how they fastened them down? With hose clamps :lol: :lol: :lol:

That explains why they all followed me through the windshield when I had my accident!

I wouldn't retro fit any seat in unless if fit perfectly and operated correctly in the existing track - but I am not a risk taker :wink:
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

I remember VW having some sort of recall back in the late 70's or early 80's to install something that would prevent Beetle seats from coming loose like that in an accident.

At the time we had a '74 standard, and my Dad had to continue reassuring my Mom that our model had the more modern tripod style locking seat base/rails.
'66 Type I
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Probably wouldn't cover what those guys had done to it though (with hose clamps). Actually though it served a purpose, after the accident when I was unconscious, bystanders placed me in the drivers seat (out in a tobacco patch). Ah..memories!
CJ'S VDUB

Post by CJ'S VDUB »

ok so i take it it's not an exact fit thank you for the help i still may purchase the super beetle for a project car down the road
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi CJ: Seriously, I'm not sure if you can do a swap or not with those seats. Maybe it would work but the guys that did mine didn't do it right. Now in reality who knows what year they tried to force in there - I just have no idea. If you really want to make them work there is probably a way to do it and make it safe at the same time.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Im not sure...but I think 1973 was the first year for the "3 point mounting" system...I currently have a '73 for my daily driver and thats what is on it...if the seats that your looking at have the earlier rail mount then they will fit.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I have a set of highbacks sitting in my scrap 66 beetle, I don't know they're year, but they seam to be about a perfect fit.
A volksie thanks,
Max
smccoy

Aesthetics aside...

Post by smccoy »

Aesthetics aside- as an accident reconstructionist I would humble suggest trying to mount the high backed seats every time- especially if you are taking them from a donor car, heck- take the original seat tracks with them and have them welded in. The high backs really help in a collision if you are ever rear ended- they help support your entire spine instead of having a violent case of whiplash centered at the base of your neck. You'll walk away at 5mph- like Frankenstein for a week you'll be so stiff. Any impact from behind at over 35mph and you're in real trouble. (Serious dehabilitating, long lasting neck injury in a seat without a headrest).

I cheated. My lowbacks needed replaced, so I killed two birds with one stone and installed a set of racing seats- I know, I know- they look silly when my top speed is only 70mph- but now I have high backs(If some one rear ends us), side bolsters(if someone clips us), and 4 point racing harness seatbelts to help keep me out of the metal dash and flat glass windshield(If I am unfortunate enough to hit someone/something else!)

Likely overkill, but what the heck : )

Good Luck!
Blue Baron

Re: seats

Post by Blue Baron »

bill hauck wrote:I agree about the high backs. rebuiliding the seat is a pretty simple job. Get the DVDs from Cal. Pacific/JBugs and they walk you right through the steps. I just did mine and they look great!
He said the interior consisted of a driver's seat only.

The '72 seats will fit the seat tracks in your '66, but the door panels are different due to the door handle redesign.