door hinges

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

exprof

door hinges

Post by exprof »

How do I replace my door hinges? The portion of the hinge which attaches to the A pillar screws in, but the portion which attaches to the door itself is riveted. I know about oversized hinge pins; I’m afraid, though, that my driver's door hinges might be to far gone for those to be of use. The door sags a good ¼ inch when it is opened.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

hello exprof
is there any way that you can email to me a couple of pictures.i would like to look things over.It is very very rare that one would have to replace hinges.you are better off installing new pins .YOU MUST remove
the doors in order to complete this project.You will also need an chisel air gun. and some heat...you can back fill the car paint later...

send what you have to mdazzo@optonline.net

volksbugusa
volksbugusa

go to eastwood

Post by volksbugusa »

Door Hinge Pin Puller

GO TO EASTWOOD

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... pe=PRODUCT

THE PIN WILL HAVE TO BE WORKED FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE HINGE
WHICH ALLOWS THE PIN TO SLIDE TOWARDS THE TOP...USE BLASTER AND A LITTLE HEAT I LIKE WORKING WITH THE DOOR OFF

Hinge Pin Remover. Replace worn hinge pins to help restore proper door alignment. This heavy duty hinge pin remover/installer fits a wide range of antique and modern hinges up to 2 7/8" wide. Dropped forged frame. Features a strong acme threaded bolt with 3 case hardened 18-8 stainless extension pins measuring (1", 1 1/2", and 2") exerts enough pressure to remove most pins. Limited 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Imported.

Removes hinge pins up to 7/16" (.437"). Tool Clearance over 1/2" (.530"). The (31061) Door Skin Kit includes the Door Skin Removal Tool (31017) and the Door Skin Installer (31059) at a savings over individual pricing.

Item# Product Qty Price

31139 Door Hinge Pin Puller
$29.99
Dustin

Air chisel

Post by Dustin »

:D
I used an air chisel with a tapered bit and it did the trick. I removed old pin and had new one in to add a mirror on passenger side in less then ten minutes, no heat, no special too, no door removal, and no goofed up paint, it worked great!!
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

dustin
you where very lucky.most end up with problems.
volksbugusa
Dustin

No problem!!

Post by Dustin »

I still think the air chisel is the right choice with the right bit, and I also used painter's tape and a terry cloth on body just to be safe, but didn't need it. The pin did come right out working it from the bottom torwards the top and I did not have to use an oversized pin or reamer. Good luck to anyone that is doing this kind of job.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Just this past weekend I installed a new threaded hinge pin on my driver side door (size = Wolfsburg West first oversize). I purchased the correct sized 'reamer' tool along with the oversize pins.

I got lucky with that top pin (because it was so sloppy) but the others have seized tight with rust.

I will likely be using VolksBug's suggestion. I could've really used that Eastwood puller this weekend!

OH, and PS: The neighbors just LOVE me for all the pounding and tapping I was doing on the car hehehehe! Just wait 'til I break out the angle grinder again!
'66 Type I
exprof

Post by exprof »

SeeBlauKafer wrote:Just this past weekend I installed a new threaded hinge pin on my driver side door (size = Wolfsburg West first oversize). I purchased the correct sized 'reamer' tool along with the oversize pins.

I got lucky with that top pin (because it was so sloppy) but the others have seized tight with rust.

I will likely be using VolksBug's suggestion. I could've really used that Eastwood puller this weekend!

OH, and PS: The neighbors just LOVE me for all the pounding and tapping I was doing on the car hehehehe! Just wait 'til I break out the angle grinder again!
There's so much slop in my top hinge that I think I'll have to use an oversize pin as well.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi Exprof, I think you'll even have two sizes to pick from, a 1st Oversize and a 2nd Oversize.

I went ahead and bought the little reamer tool they sell at a reasonable charge. It's less of a drill bit and more like the type of bit you find in a milling machine.

It also seems to be easier to work on with the doors off.
'66 Type I
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

You know - this sounds like a lot of work - if this happens to me I think I'll visit you guys during a vacation and hope you'll give me a hand! :lol:
exprof

Post by exprof »

[quote="SeeBlauKafer"] I went ahead and bought the little reamer tool they sell at a reasonable charge. It's less of a drill bit and more like the type of bit you find in a milling machine.quote]

Thanks SeeBlau,

Does the reamer tool work with an electric drill?